Car ID

A while ago I recall reading that if you made a kit car, the major assemblies counted as "points" and that you needed so many points for the original registration to be kept.

is this still the case, and does anyone know how it's done - link appreciated.

Reason I'm curious? - if I reshell a car does it carry the original ID?

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

Yes, it does. I built a Banham Sprint, which is a bit more than just reshelling a Mini, and it retained the Mini's registration.

Reply to
Grunff

If you use a brand new genuine shell - yes. If you use a secondhand one the jury's out. Of course, how would they know?

I know there can be a problem if you fit a new chassis to such cars as have them, and it's not a genuine item.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes it does, and it doesn't need an SVA test. A straight reshell is specifically mentioned in the regulations, and the age of the shell is irrelevant. I looked this up on the net, but have no idea where, except that it was a Govt site, and I found it through the "Robin Hood" kit car site