Sunbeam Alpine

I don't see any posts about Alpines. Is this not a popular car in the UK?

I've only had one for a couple of years, and I've been replacing floors and doing the body work. Engine is strong though.. Seems that it might have been resurected from the dead a couple of times in it's 40 years, but it is the most fun driving I've ever had.

Rich

Reply to
None

I worked with somebody who bought one new (that dates me!).

It was a nice car to ride in (I never drove one) but between the stages when it was considered old and past it, and becoming something worth preserving, spares dried up. The handbrake cable was virtually unobtainable for years and faced with an MOT failure that couldn't be repaired because the spare was unavailable, most were scrapped.

The "Rootes Group" stable has a bit more of a following these days, but they are not as common (or apparently as popular) as other marques. But the owners I have met (there used to be a Rootes show in Dawlish Warren every year) were very enthusiastic. As you seem to be. Enjoy!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

There is an Alpine Owners Club

if you haven't found it already.

As I remember it they were not among the worlds great cars, but nice ones nevertheless and well worth owning. It is a shame that unlike the MGB there was no backup industry for them when they needed it. I know which I would prefer to have - but then I used to work for Rootes when they made the original Alpines over 50 years ago.

Ron Robinson.

Reply to
R.N. Robinson