Classic Car hire.. straw poll.

Good for a million miles, and maybe a million more.

Tim S Kemp

an XJ6 coupe is gorgeous though... I saw one on Ebay a couple of months ago

while on the subject of Jags - has anyone suggested an XK8?

That's not an Interceptor is it? If not then I'd suggest Interceptor - the convertibles look the best IMO, but quite rare I expect.. normal hardtops aren't quite so rare.

What about a Lotus Espirt S4...

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

[...]

:)

I blame your Merc good, Beemer bad rants...

More realisticly a W126 coupé; 420SEC with tarty bits maybe... Fintail W11x of some description? ...a 3.0CSi if you could bear it.

Alistair J Murray
[...]

"Eeek, I'll take my feet off all the pedals and it'll sort itself out..."

=8/

Alistair J Murray

Hi Pete

I've got a P6 and a Micra for you to start your fleet off with :)

Reply to
fishman

Definitely a Rover P5B as suggested elsewhere. Possibly a Vanden Plas 4 Litre R too as an alternative doing the same job, though appeal may be limited to certain types.

How about a 50's step-side American pickup? Cheap to maintain, loads of street cred.

VW based beach buggy for summer picnics?

VW camper? Ordinary Bay-Window would do. Slightly different customer base of course, but could be a real winner.

Fire engine?

Something military, like a Bedford truck with sleeping accommodation in the back?

Alvis Stalwart complete with swimming gear? Perhaps not...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

P5B - especially a coupe - definitely. The P6 is also a good entry-level. What about something like an 'umber, though, instead of the VdP?

Alvis? Riley?

Hell, yes. But not bog-standard. Nice big v8, of course.

Mmm. A splitty would be perma-booked.

Driving licence issues? Routemaster? There's plenty of them nice and cheap at the mo, and they can be driven on a car licence, as long as there's less than (IIRC) 8 passengers on board. Of course, enforcing that might be difficult... Not to mention the "low bridge" issues...

Where did I put that credit card?

Reply to
Adrian

I always feel that the Super-Snipe is in the same class as the above, though a bit too yank for my taste, but a proper Humber Woody Shooting Brake would be something very special. He could throw in an 'amper from 'arrods to make it a real occasion!

Oh yes, definitely. I'd go for just about any Alvis, but something like a TE21 convertible would have me reaching deep into my wallet.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Willy Eckerslyke (oss108no snipped-for-privacy@bangor.ac.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The VdP is a bit nouveau. A poshed-up Austin.

Fortnums, please! The Egyption Grocer is only used by American tourists these days. Harrumph.

Reply to
Adrian

True, but it somehow manages to add up to a lot more than the sum of its parts. Unless of course, the Austin wasn't that bad to start with, shock horror!

A yes, shame on me!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

with

The 3.8 S1 has synchro on 2, 3 and 4. The 4.2 S1 has synchro on all 4.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

No.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

In news:ctqmsj$fq4$ snipped-for-privacy@news8.svr.pol.co.uk, Geoff Mackenzie decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Ah, cheers. Good news that. I knew the later 4.2 had synchro on all four, hence aiming for a 1.5 at least.

Reply to
Pete M

Ford Pilot flathead V8?

Or how about a good old fashioned Black cab.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Tombstone Grille: Check Black: Check Whitewalls: Check Stack lights: Check

Only thing it is missing is a mild lowering job, and some chrome wire wheels+limo tint. Proper ganster then.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Mines cost me more per week than any car i've ever owned and i've yet to put petrol in it or mileage on it :)

Reply to
Chet

Nope Dark Green

Nahhhh, you need this one:

Alistair J Murray

Adrian realised it was 1 Feb 2005 21:42:09 GMT and decided it was time to write:

Yes, very nice, but a bit too precious for hiring out methinks. The average punter won't notice the difference with a TR4A, anyway, so it's more sensible to stay with the much cheaper TR4.

Bergerac was shown only once here, long ago. And the Roadster looks interesting (note careful avoidance of words like 'good' or 'nice').

You haven't been near one, then. Once opened up, they're surprisingly wide inside.

You can have the GT40, I'll take the SS100, even if I have to build it myself. Or no, make that *especially* if I have to build it myself. :-)

Reply to
Yippee

"Pete M" realised it was Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:39:05 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

Have I told you about my hankering for a 1933 Morgan Super Sports? ;-)

But a classy car that a certain clientele would want to be seen in.

How about a Royale Sabre as an alternative? Looks even more classy, but isn't, with its simple Ford bits and plastic body. It's already being hired out, BTW:

I'm afraid you might, although I'd much prefer the real thing myself.

Get one on carbs - not as nice, but easier to maintain and the posers won't mind. Don't rule our the 4-cylinder TR's, either. Those engines will stand a lot of abuse and go on forever.

Why not the Herald/Vitesse? Dirt cheap, easiest cars in the world to maintain and they're really 'camp' in some circles. They seat four, too, so the nostalgic hirers can bring their (grand)children.

Why not? I'm ashamed to admit I know at least three shallow posers with money to spare who'd love to be seen in those. I'm pretty sure there are bound to be loads of takers for cars like that.

You wanted to know which cars *we* would want to drive.

Would enough people realise its limitations and know how to treat it? If I were hiring out classics, I'd definitely pass on this one.

They make quite good replicas of these, you now. Same pose value, but cheaper, better performance, more reliable and much less hassle.

I agree the Bugatti is for connoisseurs only, but the SS100 replica is gorgeous. It'll certainly attract customers who'd love to be seen in a car that looks like it's worth 300K, but costs really 40K and drives like a small, quick, open XJ6.

When it comes to replicas, how about Jaguar C-type and D-type? And Westfield have just revived their pretty life-like Lotus Eleven rip-off, cunningly called Westfield XI.

Genuine big Healey too costly? Sebring supply V8-powered cars that look just like them - if you squint a bit.

Alfa Romeo Giulietta or 2000 Spider - not my cup of tea, but those concerned with appearances are bound to want to be seen in one.

Volvo P1800S - get a late one (and expect picky types like me to ask for a manual P1800ES in metallic blue or gold)

Reliant Regal van - in yellow, with 'Trotter international trading' on the sides and a little jar that drips diesel on the exhaust...

Sachsenring Trabant - there'll be a 90's revival any day now!

VW Beetle convertible - for the same reasons I mentioned with the Herald

VW split window bus - should come with free Beach Boys cassette!

Delorean - for the clueless suckers who would still buy an Edsel today.

Bentley S1/2/3 drophead coupe

Reply to
Yippee

"Tim S Kemp" realised it was Tue, 1 Feb 2005

22:29:59 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

I dare you to find one that hasn't rusted into uselessness yet.

Reply to
Yippee