Classic Car hire.. straw poll.

Stuff with light steering, servoed brakes and easy gearboxes. Nothing with a gearbox at the back end and the engine at the front. Nothing you'll mind butchering to get to that spec...

Reply to
Doki

I really want a 262. Have done for AGES.

Reply to
Doki

And also, a Dodge Charger.

AAaaahhhh yeah they're cool.

Do it :D

Hmmm true - 405 T16 and just rent it to me and Carl :) ?

Yup :D

Reply to
DanTXD

Yippee ( snipped-for-privacy@intuh.net.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It looks like exactly what it is - a bad pastiche mismatch. The back end's not bad, but doesn't go with the XK120 rip-off front wings, which clash

*horribly* with that grille...

Dear god... Pass me the sick bag.

As for £200 for two short trips in a couple of grand's worth of 15 year old

735... I'm in the wrong business.
Reply to
Adrian

Yaaaaaaaay :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Adrian realised it was 2 Feb 2005 20:12:06 GMT and decided it was time to write:

The front looks like a bad cross between early Bristol/BMW and Riley RM.

Lovely, isn't it? ;-)

There's still a sucker born every minute, you know. Maybe it's even two, these days.

Reply to
Yippee

Yippee ( snipped-for-privacy@intuh.net.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

That's, erm, one way to put it...

"Wedding hire" - think of a number, triple it.

If anybody has the cheek to question it, the answer is simple - "Don't you want the very very best for Your Special Day?"

Reply to
Adrian

I can see your point. I didn't really think about cost. Aren't the beards going to have MG's anyway though?

Ooops Still a Continental would be a great addition. White convertible would be perfect for weddings. Practical, yet somehow cool, doors as well.

I thought Griffith, but didn't include it for the same reason the Lotus Cortina has fallen by the wayside.

Hope it all goes well if you do go ahead with it. I trust there'll be discounts for everyone here ;)

Reply to
Letharge

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON
[...]

You Are Huggy Bear And I Claim My Five Pounds!

Alistair J Murray

In news: snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed03.glasvezel.net, Yippee decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Oh yeah, I'd love to smoke about in one, it's just finding enough people who'd want to hire one

Trying to avoid "replicas" unless the genuine article is A:too rare and expensive, B: impossible to fix.

Hence AC Cobra and GT40's being acceptible replicas.. I can't fit in a genuine GT40 :-(

Yeah, but I've always wanted a TR5, so it's a personal thing, besides, TR Bitz are only up the road.

Not exactly a money spinner, when Phase Two kicks in, maybe.

Because a nice one is what, 6 grand? So I'd have trouble getting decent money to hire it.

I'd love to drive any of 'em. A P5B is a certainty for Phase 2.

I know a guy who restores old MGs. The other day he told me how much a cylinder head casting is for the PB that's on the board. So I'm with you on this one.

Could be a laugh.

£40k is a 308 GTB and a GT40 replica though...

Nah, can get a lovely Big Healey for £15k. Already making enquiries... got some cars to look at tomorrow.

lol

A possibility for the younger hirers - people we can't get insured on a

308...

Phase two, gotta be.

No.

Save money on the Mersey Tunnel :)

Probably

Reply to
Pete M

In news:Xns95F1D22457EC9adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Shhhh! We're already doing Limos.. Think of £300 for a wedding :-)

You don't want a bloody Lincoln stretch then.

Number of brides I've seen nearly go arse over tit trying to get out of Towncars.

Reply to
Pete M

My geography teacher had one. All it was missing was the gun turret.

Reply to
Pete M

Out of that list, the 4.2 E type, 911, MGB, 7 and 308 definately haven't got power steering, only the 456 and 550 have front engine / rear gearbox.

The Mk2 Jag probably wouldn't have PAS either.

Most of 'em have servo brakes.

Reply to
Pete M

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Pete M decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

*revised list of probables*

Expensive stuff

E type 4.2 Roadster GT40 Replica

308 or 328 GTS Aston DB5 '67 Mustang 390 GT Fastback - Windsor Green, natch Bentley Turbo R Ferrari 355 / 360 911 Carrera 2 Merc SL Cobra replica - proper one though, 289 or 427 depending on insanity.

Cheaper stuff

Rover P5B Cateham 7 - Prisoner colours Mustang convertible V8 - red, white top VW Kombi split screen camper

60's Cooper S - Italian Job type bumpers etc. Older Merc SL (not Pagoda) Triumph TR4a or 5 MGB roadster - chrome bumper and wires in BRG, natch.

To follow in Phase two...

almost anything..

Reply to
Pete M

I note that many of the replies in this thread have answered a question that wasn't answered. I will to try to tell you what you want to know. There's a big, big difference between a car we'd like to drive, a car we'd like to own, and a car we'd be willing to shell out reasonable amounts of money, to give it back after the weekend.

The trouble is, how much is someone willing to weigh out for a short period of time. There's a finite number of people who can blow 2 grand on getting a Vanquish for two days. Get down to not far above the cost of a decent new-type motor from Hertz, and I'd take a classic every time.

In fact, I'm looking for something special for the end of March. Can't quite decide what, though.

Yes, because it's something that I'd never buy myself, but quite like.

Given the choice, I'd go for an SI. That's just me, though.

Something I wouldn't buy, but would pay to hire.

I plan on owning one, so *I* wouldn't. but I'm sure there's a rental market out there.

Don't know what the market would be. Don't know if the income would support the capital outlay, in a rental business. You obviously have looked into this.

I think that people would rent these.

The price of the rental of these would not be too far from a 355/360, surely. If one's going to rent a late Ferrari, might as well go the whole hog. Ferrari = focused sports, not GT, imo.

If I wanted one, I'd buy one.

Maybe. If I could find a late 60s series I Shadow, or a early 60s Spirit, I'd rent on next month, probably.

This will get booked.

I would rent one, because I won't ever own one. But it wouldn't be cheap, right? So

Very likely. Would you have a clause excluding track use? Or maybe encourage it?

I would look at the lower end of the market, at iconic vehicles. The MGB roadster is ideal: cheap for you to buy, cheap for punters to rent. The punters you want are those who don't have 10K for a second/third/fourth car - but do have 250 quid for a weekend. They possibly don't want to own a classic, because of the maintenance issue, or simply because they know it won't get used enough to justify it. But they like classics all the same.

Some of the suggestions in the rest of this thread are hilariously pathetic. People seem to have simply listed "cars I quite like".

Reply to
Ben Blaney

How much are they to buy?

Reply to