Classic Car Insurance

Mel was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

You are aware that the slight flaw in your cunning plan is that you'd still end up without any NCB?

That said, you'll be looking at a pre-89 car at least to get classic insurance.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Try CO-OP insurance services they are often cheaper

Reply to
David

Hi anyone know of any relevantly modern cars that are classed as "Classics" for car insurance? reason i am asking is that i'm looking to get myself a cheap to insure runabout for occasional use trouble is although i am 39 years old having used a company supplied van in my previous job a few years back i have Zero No-Claims bonus and most Insurance companies are looking for £350+ for a 1 Litre Car bit tough i think for someone whos had a licence for 22 years.

TIA

Mel

Reply to
Mel

: That said, you'll be looking at a pre-89 car at least to get classic : insurance.

I've found that many insurers now only give full classic policies to cars over 30 years old. My DS (29 this May) still doesn't count.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You need to change insurers.

Many will consider almost anything over roughly 10 years old, as long as it's not a daily driver.

Reply to
Adrian

: Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, : sounding much like they were saying : : : >: That said, you'll be looking at a pre-89 car at least to get classic : >: insurance. : : > I've found that many insurers now only give full classic policies to : > cars over 30 years old. My DS (29 this May) still doesn't count. : : You need to change insurers.

I did. But I still don't get all the benefits of a full classic policy.

: Many will consider almost anything over roughly 10 years old, as long as : it's not a daily driver.

Quite possible, but I suspect the deals aren't quite as good. "Classic" can mean many things.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

KMIS

do a modern classics policy - used to be anything over ten years old that had a car club. I think it's now over 15 years - still good though. I got full classic entitlement on a 92 Scirocco, agreed value and only £120 for 5000 miles full comp. I even got a "good conduct" letter off them recently to count as 4 years NCB - took it to Esure to use against a regular policy. No problems.

The only proviso was that I have the *use* of another car - in this case my wife's. No mention of it being used as a highdays and holidays car.

Reply to
DocDelete

Only two of mine are over thirty years old, but they're all on a group classic car policy through Footman James. Agreed values, comprehensive, no mileage restriction. And I don't own anything else, so one of them has to be driven daily.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

With Royal Sunalliance. One company I'd *never* deal with again, after being with them and their predecessors for over 30 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Mmm. Most of mine are with FJ - - Most recent on that policy is 'erself's '82 2cv. Agreed value, fully comp, unlimited mileage (by choice)

However, FJ are cheap but not at all flexible. They wouldn't even consider the Acadiane for very occasional commuting use, as it's a "commercial vehicle". They wouldn't touch the 4x4 2cv with somebody else's bargepole - but if it were a normal '88 2cv, they would happily cover it.

Alexander Forbes (used to be the Citroen Car Club "official" scheme) are a little more expensive, but very well worth while for anything other than bare bog "normal".

I've not had to claim from either, but I know which one'd be easier if I did. And it ain't FJ.

Reply to
Adrian

About to try, actually - some **** savaged the SM in a car park. We'll see how easy it is.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Gah! No! Hanging's too good for 'em, etc.

How bad? Just panelwork, or anything expensive like lights/covers?

You got them bang-to-rights, or was it just one of those "return to the car, sink to knees, crying" moments?

Reply to
Adrian

Just a dent in the front wing. Front bumper might not be as straight as it was, though. Needs some paint anyway, though - couple of other little dints, and the paint's peeling off the bonnet because it hasn't been primed properly.

Nah, bastard or bastards unknown. Probably the white van that was there when I parked and gone when I got back, though.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

No longer. They've now selling policies with a different underwriter - name escapes me right now - but I've a Bertone X1/9 insured with them, cheaper than Royal too.

Reply to
DocDelete

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think I can hear your credit card screaming in pain, Ian...

Is it worth putting through insurance?

Probably.

Reply to
Adrian

: Alexander Forbes (used to be the Citroen Car Club "official" scheme) are a : little more expensive, but very well worth while for anything other than : bare bog "normal".

They very sniffily refused to quote for my DS, saying they didn't touch anything with a value below ten thousand.

I'm with RH now, who quoted less than half the next best, which was FJ.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Blimey.

They've had all my old tat with 'em for years - and had no problem on adding more crap to the list. I doubt if all the cars I've ever owned are worth ten grand added together...

Reply to
Adrian

Marginal - but if I'm getting it done anyway, and the quote for the insurance work is high enough...

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Not true. Firebond will put anything over 9 years old on a classic policy. The downside of this policy (and most other classic policies) is that it doesn't accrue any NCD.

It might be cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet and shop around for standard insurance. Some companies will allow an introductory discount if you are able to prove you have driven on someone else's policy.

Reply to
Chris Bolus