Classic insurance

Confused.com are currently running a £1m lottery for requesting a quote. In an idle moment, of which I have many these days, I entered the details of the E to see what sort of quote I could get.

The email I received back said that they had contacted 97% of insurers, and not one was prepared to quote. They listed 20 - reasons included "won't quote on modified cars", "don't do classics", "registered keeper must be the same as the owner", "won't quote if previously declined" etc. Fair enough; I was strictly accurate in all the details I gave; probably could have done better by fudging things a bit, but thought it better to play straight.

Where it all disappeared into fairyland and gave me the giggles was that one of the companies who declined to quote was the one which has actually insured the car for the past ten years. Ho, hum. Good stuff, this interweb.

GMacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

I like that, have similar here had to renew a policy, was sent the renewal for about $500, phoned them up and asked for a discount, several reasons, like having other polices with them, and then told them, I only drove low miles, OK it came down $300. This was about the same as the previous year. Why did they jack the price up over 150% for starters.

Yes the MG has been insured with them for the last 8 years.

Rob.

Because that's how they make money - the first year is usually a loss leader, and depending on the rest of the market, they try hiking the rates when it seems "appropriate".

Reply to
Timo Geusch

That's how Carole Nash treated me when I insured the PI. Decent price first year. Second year it went up 20% because it now covered European travel (which I didn't want) and free breakdown assistance (which I never used).

Third year, it went up another 20%, but without additional features this time. They lost my business.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Frequently I find an online quote with whatever is my current insurer at the time ends up cheaper than the renewal they send out. But they never discount it to match their online quote!

Sadly there's no reward for loyalty in the insurance world - unless you have a bump and end up tied to them to retain your protected NCB. Generally it tends to be cheaper to move on each year.

When I wanted to switch my car policy to a campervan about a month in, it ended up costing me about £90 to cancel the policy as none of them seem to have the flexibilty to switch between these types of vehicles!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I was with the same company for over 30 years and never a claim. Two cars with them for much of the time too. Then they got taken over and the next premium quote doubled. The previous one was merely competitive - not low. I wrote to them asking for an explanation and got no reply. Obviously a company with a death wish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Renewal quote from Swinton this year (for a Micra): =A3160

Online quote from Swinton: =A3135

Phoned up the branch: =A3130

Ian

Reply to