series 1 2 or 3

Still haven't bought one yet,

a series one sounds like fun, but would anyone seriosly want to drive one a long distance with a top speed my old lambretta scooter could have bettered ?

or a series 2 would that be a more sensible proposition or do I need a cast iron backside and ear defenders.?

or a series 3 and pay road tax on it ?

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

well, once again it all comes down to what you want from the vehicle.

very few have these for practical reasons, they are slow small etc etc. but they will catch the most attention and are the most historically significant of the line-up.

they are all uncomfortable i believe, and are all loud. series 2 have the strongest tranny i believe but the 2.25 petrol is on a lower compression and is about 10 valuable horses under the late series 3, and have the rover diffs front and back which are prone to breaking.

don't have that consideration here in australia, same rego fee for all vehicles. series 3, slightly more refined. they discovered what plastic was and covered up the windscreen wiper-motors with a dashboard which also provides a little more storage space. series 3 has the salisbury rear diff which i believe is indestructible.

many many considerstions, just go and look at a few from all vintages and go with the one that has a certain pull on you. you try and leave to look at another one, but there's something holding you back.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

but not as bad as you might think, ive been drivin mine daily for 2 years and only sheard one, that was whilst towing on tarmac, and i snatched the rope thus snapping the shaft.

early 3 can still be picked up thats tax exempt.

series 3 still has rover diffs on em, unless its a 109 then there fitted with salisbiury as standard, but i wouldnt let axles bother you, there both tuff if treated ok.

personaly id go for a tax exempt 3 or late 2a .

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Will Stick to a 11 or a 11A, Might be noisey and a little on the uncomfortable side, but by god, I havent met anyone who is prepared to argue with it in the local supermarket carparks :-)

Reply to
Igundwane

yes - hubby has just been done for reversing ever so carefully into a parking space which behind was a 4 berth camper van. Wouldn't normally have been a problem except that the camper was parked 8 inches over the bay on the left hand side at a slight angle and had fiberglass bumper. Didn't stand a chance against a series 2a metal bumper really and had a lovely split straight across it. CCTV caught it all but police played it right down in our favour because of how camper was parked and to sort it on insurance. Did us a favour really - thought we would lose the no claims but instead they increased it in exchange for a £2 a month increase on the premium! Not bad going as we thought it may go to court. Another plus point is cheap parts - head gasket for a Rover 214 = £30 v same for 2a = £3.20 inc. vat! Was I gutted or what - the car has to die!!!

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

I have just had some truly ridiculos insurance quotes today.

Apparantly in my present circumstances it would cost me more to insure a vintage landy than my old limo.

One company said they could not insure me if I parked it daily in a college car park, whilst another said they could not get a quote from most classic companies because I could not garage it or keep it off road.

I was then given a long spiel about how desirable they are for ram raiding hence the premiums.

One of the reasons I want one is because I reckon it would be less liable to attract the joyriding and in car entertainment nicking fraternity. and what would be the point of scratching the paintwork of something you could just lob a pot of hammerite on as I am not after a concours machine.

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

Are you joining the club then, Larry! Nice one!

Try the NFU. Fail> I have just had some truly ridiculos insurance quotes today.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Hi Larry, I don't know what you're 'circumstances' are but I've got a good deal from Peter Best insurance. They put me in the 'classic 4x4' category, even though my landy is only 1982 (hardly vintage). Good luck!

Olly R

109 Stage 1 V8
Reply to
Olly R

Yes

I phoned up a local car dealer who sometimes has old landies in, and he suggested NFU too

Mind you he also said that for my price range I could just as well go for an

90 of eighties vintage as the price has fallen on these.

I wonder though how many of the more sophisticated modern land rovers will be around in twenty years time. anything with complicated electronics, is likely to be a lot less repairable on the roadside.

That was the trouble with my limo, an intermittent electrical fault that would just stop it when you least expected, and which no-one seemed to be able to trace.

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

I have the unfortunate circumstance of being someone in my mid 40's who is currently a student, I also do not live anywhere where I can garage a car or keep it off road.

It has been suggested that if I described myself as "retired" that might get a different responce. I have told that just about the worst thing to be is unemployed or a photographer.

I just wish that they would look properly at the risk factors of owning an old land rover compared to a more flash motor, take into account that although I may technically be a student, I am a mature person, with a perfectly clean licence and no accidents in the past five years.

What is more the prime aim of insuring it is one to keep legal, and two to replace it if it is stolen or torched, such things as minor damage you might get from careless parkers and people who throw things are likely to be a lot easier to sort on a landrover than your average piece of metal.

Peter Best incidentally were the people who told me they would not insure anything that would spend its daytimes in a college car park.

Oh yeah park it in the streets and annoy the residents instead I don't think. who are they kidding.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

That's the thing. Mind you, if you go for a 90 at least you can modernise it as little or as much as you like, because they've changed so little over the years. It's quite possible to build a "brand new" latest spec Defender 90 on any 90 chassis, for example........ So you could have a old plate but a brand new vehicle, essentially!

Head for Peterborough this coming weekend if you are free, that's my advice!

Reply to
Llandrovers!

I had no problems obtaining insurance for my current vehicle as a student. (Mind you it was with Land Rover's own crowd, on a brand new Discovery, so I don't suppose they'd refuse anyone! It was a good deal too - with all glass covered and off road too).

Don't tell them anything other than "it's for my own use for social, domestic and pleasure purposes only". It shouldn't matter where it's parked so long as it is "based" at a home address.

Can be a problem........ On the other hand, if you have an allocated parking place, and the thing fits in it with enough room to get, for instance, the bin lorry past it, then one could say "f*** the neighbours" in this instance.

What is your budget BTW?

Reply to
Llandrovers!

Try Nationwide Building Society - no restrictions on ours at all and well priced. Series 2a 1968 Stationwagon.

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

AON is excellent, had mine, Series11A Insured fully comp @ an agreed valuation :-) on road parking, and unlimited mileage for £158.00 a year, plus I was under 30 then.

No hassles no worries great to deal with.

Reply to
Igundwane

Not so. Any insurance quote will depend on where the vehicle is kept at night. On street parking is bad, in a garage is good. In a car park is probably the worst place of all - publicly open, yet deserted.

Most classic insurance requires the car to be kept off-street, but not all.

FWIW, company directors are also a very high risk group. I still only pay 135 each for the 101 and Series 2. I'm currently on 550 for the Discovery (no business use either), but I'm about to renew and hope to do better as I no longer do 30,000 miles a year in it.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

True. During term time my vehicle spends most of it's time parked in the college student parking field, and it would be cheaper still for me to base my insurance quote there (middle of nowhere in Wales, literally!). Still, can't complain, I'm paying less than £400 for my fully comp policy.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

NFU gave me a more sensible quote today but also told me something else. It is the insurers trade association who fix the gruopings for cars and all

4X4s are now in a higher gruop and all that individual insurers can do is give a discount, but they can't change the group.

I have also been warned about private sales and meaningless MOT's that is to say that even if there is rot in the chassis it won't show up in most MOT's because they are not allowed to bang about and probe hard enough to find out.

Of course that could just be sales pitch. This was from a guy at Liveridge near Solihull. Its sounds worth a visit though to see what they've got

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not"

Reply to
Larry

I intend to be paying less than that fully comp. thats more than my limo used to cost me and that was kept on street although it was on a limited mileage.

-- Larry

"We are all of one mind, one equal mind, and if each of us persists in being the centre of our own existence we are all doomed to suffer at each others hands. I cannot exist on my own without you, neither can you be without me, what is the world wide web about after all?. We are interdependent whether we are aware of the fact or not".

Reply to
Larry

Footman James is worth a try if you haven't already. Can't tell you what the quote was for the Series 3 as Bruce rang them up, the conditions are that the vehicle you are insuring is not going to be be your main method of transport and there are catergories for the amount of mileage you do. They will also insure imported vehicles like Bruce's motorbike. He's got a Suzuki GS1100 and has insured it for £87 - i pressume this is fully comp, but I may be wrong. He has opted for the lowest mileage bracket, which is

1500 miles per year, although in the 6 years he's had it, its only done about 500 miles as he only rides it when the roads are dry and the sun is shining and only local, especially with me on it. He wishes he could bring himself to ride it more, but he's had a couple of tumbles from a motorbike in the past with no major injuries luckily, and taking in to account the volume of traffic on the roads and the number of drivers who "don't see" cyclists and motorbikes until they land up on the road in front of them, its a risk he isn't going to take.

-- Nikki

1990 Discovery V8i 1985 Range Rover V8 1975 88" Series 3, 2.25 petrol
Reply to
Nikki

We paid £157 for our Discovery - fully comp, two drivers, full no claims and no convictions and it is kept in a secure place, off the road at night. The biggest factor in the drop was that Bruce was 50 on his last birthday - it was only £200 the year before. This is with Norwich Union.

Reply to
Nikki