Fast and cheap classic?

In news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com, Mark W decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I can't include *any* Mk2 Escort on a list of bad cars. I adore the Mk2, no matter how dodgy it is.

Reply to
Pete M

A standard Rialto with normal back axle will do into the upper nineties, I, erm, understand. And yes, that wedgie bonnet does help enormously at speed.

I bought mine just to see what it would be like, and was very pleasantly surprised by the handling. Apart from country roads with grass up the middle, it's hard to tell that it's only got three wheels. I was also surprised to discover, in delicate testing, that the back end lets go before the front on corners, which was not what I expected.

I'll be sorry to see it go (only 300 quid with new MOT, folks...)

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Any car (using the term loosely) that can do 100mph with 40hp has to have reasonable aerodynamics at least!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

As in low ratio? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A few years ago I remember being overtaken by one coming down the hill on the M62 towards Manchester. He/She must have been doing the thick end of 90. I'm not sure if it was a Rialto or Regal.

Are we suggesting one as the answer to the OPs requirement?

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

But where would he get one in fetching beige with new MOT for three hundred - yes only three hundred - pounds?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Do tell..... I'm after a decent 2CV myself, not too worried about colour :-)

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P from the North

Mike P from the North ( snipped-for-privacy@othere.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Email me. There's usually something going.

Reply to
Adrian

The regal top end is more like 70MPH. 600 / 700cc engine with 28+ BHP.

Handling not as good as the Robin series due the 13" wheels and higher centre of gravity. Mine was even wirse due to a crack in the chassis. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

But BMW's don't have working indicators, or at least all the ones I see don't seem to...

Reply to
Andy Vines

I will.. or already would have done if I didn't get made redundant this morning :-( Oh well, have to stick with the old ZX TD for a while longer.. which, although not a classic (could buy a Volcane TD?) it is bloody good fun to drive, fast ish and it handles great..

Cheers

Mike

Reply to
Mike P from the North

Get yourself a Saab Luxo Barge. Again ...

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

That unforunatley was how mine "Went". Wet road, late for work, NSL road, niuce old grippy tarmac. Went into corner and found a patch of shiny ungravelled repair. Back end went.

I opposite locked like a star, had it full sideways. Felt like Erik Carlsson.

Pulled it back, and it went the other way. Spun the lock back on again the other way, just started to feel it stop sliding any further out, when the new tarmac ended, I hit the old grippy stuff with the back well out. The back of the robins stopped sliding, the weight transfered to the front mid corner while turning, Every thing went kind of Sky, Ground, Sky Ground, and I ended up facing the correct way, on the opposite side of the road, on the grass verge, feeling even more like Erik Carlsson (on me roof). While dangling there in a strange position, with my seat belt holding me in, I calmly applied the handbrake, took it out of gear with the clutch, switched off the igntion, released the seat belt and instantley regretted it as I thumped down (would have been up when in the right direction) onto the steering wheel as I shot downward.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

What about a Porche 924? Hatchback coupe?

2+2 VW derived Audi built Porsche badged engine. Not fast, but pretty quick and handle well. Over the years, the specs have changed so, so have the buying prices.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Not 60's or 70's but Saab 900 16v Turbo (mid 80's-early 90's but doesn't look it). As long as the box is good. It is a goodun. Saab 9000 2.3 16v Turbo (early to late 90's) Will one day be a fine classic, but right now, cheap as chips, even with good leather and working aircon and seat adjustment etc.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

No it won't, it'll always be some dreadful GM bore-box.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

SAAB _9000_. I think you'll find you've mis-typed "FIAT"..

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Sleeker GT Phwoar saying something like:

Heh. Sort of automatic reaction, even upsie downie.

Ouch. Cracking story.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Dreadful Fiat bore-box.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I think you will find all the GM product was 9-3 or 9-5 etc. 9000 is not contanimated by GM but has some Fiat, Alfa Romeo and Lancia thrown in for luck, even though GM part owned them for part of the production run.

- that bit bit about haven't made a profit since being taken over. Even sadder is the mint B reg pale pissed on snow coloured non turbo poverty spec 900 that I keep seeing on my way to work. I think he's deluded himself that it's a "classic" too. When it comes to mass market volume production it needs the be the very highest spec, top of the range. Eg a Capri RS3100 may be desirable and a classic while a Capri 1300 or 1600 just isn't and ain't, it was what you had because you wanted the RS and could not afford it or it's insurance. It's got to be the range topping model that set the image and made the name. Classic is not a status that should be handed out just from being old.

Reply to
Peter Hill