Jag XJ6 S3, 3.4 - any good?

Hello,

I've happened across a Series 3 XJ6, 3.4 for sale. How do they compare in terms of performance and comfort to the 4.2 injection cars? Are there any issues around the engine and carbs I should be aware of when looking at it?

Reason I ask is because I have a 4.2 that needs some work so will be a while off the road. I could buy the 3.4 to tootle around in for a while and eventually sell/use it for spares.

I haven't gotten to drive the 3.4 yet, hence the question. Opinions appreciated.

Reply to
Sean

Sean made the world a better place for us by saying..

The don't drive badly, although you *will* notice the lack of power. 3.4 feels about the same as a Mk2 2.8 Granada, powerwise.

As for faults, well they tend to get driven a lot harder than a 4.2 (because a 4.2 is wafty power, a 3.4 has to work for a living), watch for the usual oil pressure, cold starting, timing chain rattles, headgasket failure, worn bores (loads of smoke), dodgy gearboxes and overheating.

Otherwise, not too shabby. Check for rust though, carefully, especially around the rear suspension mountings.

Reply to
Pete M

Performance is OK but it has to rev a lot more -- not good for the timing chains also watch the oil pressure and service history.

Reply to
AWM

Thanks for the information.

Found out that the car's not running at present - fuelling problem. The seller is saying that there's a matchbox sized metal box on attached to the inner wing that the fuel line goes into (and exits). This is leaking and when bypassed, the car won't run??? The 3.4 runs on carbs right?

Might have a look at the car and will keep in mind the engine may have been worked hard.

Reply to
Sean