Lotus

Just because you don't know where to get it done at that price doesn't mean it's not possible. Have a google for BJV engineering, who are well known for being a) cheap and b) doing a good job.

But then, as you seem to think people paint alloy wheels, you're obviously not up on these matters. I have all the gear to paint, and I'd not even bother trying to paint my wheels - it's simply impossible to get even coverage.

Reply to
Doki

Ok, I'll say this s_l_o_w_l_y in case you missed it elsewhere in the thread - They could not buy the (correct) paint for that much.

Bollocks, as I've said (elsewhere in the thread), my mates company has been doing just this (amongst other high class paintwork) for 25 odd years - just because you are clueless or can't source the correct paints don't assume all painters are like you!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Cheers for all your comments

Have found a buyer who is willing to refurb and sell on

Reply to
ncs

I was trying to give you a bit of a clue below. Most wheels aren't painted. They're powder coated. For a start, you don't lose 60-70% of the material between the gun and the item being painted as the unused material can be recycled.

Anyway, I can quite happily wander into a paint factors and get quality paint for £15 a litre + hardeners, thinners and VAT. Maybe your mate isn't as sharp as he thinks he is if he can't source paint at a decent price, if you're starting with ad hominem bollocks. Even the absolute top stuff is only £50-£60 a litre.

Woo. High class. If he thinks he can get even coverage on the wheels I've got, he's deluding himself, there simply isn't a gun or a hand small enough for the job. They're 1980s / early 90s BBS wheels with a hell of a lot of spokes. You can get even coverage on the faces but certainly not on the edges of the spokes.

Reply to
Doki

That would depend on what you blast it with...

Reply to
Doki

That's fine. As long as you and the buyer both understand that old magnesium wheels can be lethal and lawyers can be expensive.

The genuine Lotus wobbly web wheel was made from Elektron which is a very different thing from modern alloys used for road wheels. Whereas a layer of oxide will more or less stop the latter corroding, it won't with Elektron and once it has started it will carry on corroding inside and no amount of polishing or painting the outside will stop it. Which is why, as has been pointed out, they are strictly time-limited by scrutineers.

Ron Robinson.

Reply to
R.N. Robinson