Most undeserving / overrated classic?

With a 2.5 and a 4.5 I'm not sure they needed much else in the way of enlargement. Real anorak stuff now - weren't those engines designed by Philip (not sure) Turner? Who also designed the Triumph Speed Twin bike engine? And if you measure the bore/stroke/distance between bores etc you find that the 2.5 is basically four Speed Twin engines stuck together? Anyway, that's what I was told in the sixties by a bloke who knew him (Barry Ryerson, editor of Motorcycle Weekly, founder of the VES and all-round Good Egg).

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

In article , Geoff Mackenzie writes

Edward

He did. Turner went on to become MD of BSA, who owned Jaguar between

1930 and 1960.

I've seen that snippet somewhere else, myself.

Reply to
Leroy Curtis

Geoff Mackenzie ( snipped-for-privacy@acsysindia.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What a superb phrase...

Reply to
Adrian

Leroy Curtis ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Pardon?

BSA owned Lanchester from 1931 and Daimler from 1910, but sold Daimler *TO* Jaguar in 1960...

Reply to
Adrian

Yep, I think so. The V6 is not a "nice" engine, and it wasn't until Lancia did it that it was made to work well. Many car manufacturers including Studebaker and General Motors bought Aurelias just to dismantle the engine and find out how to make a V6 work.

Reply to
Stan Barr

It's more like 4 BSA A10s stuck together, especially the valve gear.

Reply to
Stan Barr

And IIRC Jaguar didn't exist until after the war, it was SS, Swallow Sidecars, before the war.

Reply to
Stan Barr

In article , Adrian writes

Oops...

Quite. Case of fingers working faster than brain on my part. Thanks for pointing out the error. That sentence was supposed to read"......BSA, who owned Daimler between 1910 and 1960."

Reply to
Leroy Curtis

Same shape may be, the block of the V4 was totally different to the V6, due to having to accommodate a balance shaft to compensate for the lack of two cylinders.

Reply to
Jerry.

Well, the Rover V-8 grew quite a bit over the years...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

BSA owned Daimler, not Jaguar. Lady Docker etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^^^^^^^

I *beg* your pardon?

Reply to
Dan Drake

"Mike Constantine" wrote

Indeed, but Reliant were still putting them in Scimitars in 1986...

Reply to
The Blue Max

Er, no. After the early 80s the Scimitar had the Cologne V6. IIRC the Essex was dropped when Ford dropped the 3.0 Capri, but it may have been a bit earlier. Not that the Cologne V6 was anything to write home about, but it was a much nicer donk than the Essex - only drawback was less low-end grunt, and that eventually got fixed with the 2.9 (which went into the last Scimitars[1])

[1] Last so far, anyway. Paul Dennison and Tom Karen might change that at some point.
Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

The Mk IV Ford was that rare thing in car design....a car inferior in every way to the car it replaced... Other cars in this category this are of course the Allegro The Rover 800 The Triumph Acclaim The Farina Magnette Any others?

Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

I'd disagree with this one. It was considerably more reliable.

The Rover 800, despite using the same theory of Japanese design, somehow managed to be utterly awful.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

The scars left by the V4 balance-shaft are still present on the front cover of the V6, and the cam-timing-gear of the V6 has 2 timing-marks on it, one to line up the crank-gear, the other for the [absent] balance-shaft gear. This has caught-out at least one mechanic I know who timed a V6 on the wrong mark then wondered why the thing made a noise like a dust-bin full of spanners being shaken when he tried to start it.

Reply to
PJML

In news: snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com, Richard Kilpatrick decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I'd rather drive a Dolomite Sprint than any Acclaim. I personally rate the Acclaim as one of the ugliest cars ever built. Especially in incontinence pants beige.

that was easy, they didn't put the V8 in, it was gonna be crap.

Reply to
Pete M

Yes, but the Acclaim also replaced the regular Dollys too. IMO, the Dolly sprint was spiritually replaced by the Maestro Turbo.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Richard Kilpatrick ( snipped-for-privacy@dmc12.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Chalk up another one on the "most unworthy successor" list...

Reply to
Adrian