My sad news day

I hope you're joking...... cos your comments came through fine.... and are on the website now.

The 'code' is the three-letter 'captcha' image that should appear just below the comment box. It's designed to stop those darn 'spambots' that otherwise clog up such online forms - and it was working OK the last time I looked...

Where does it mention a newletter..... ? - can't remember putting that in there...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

No, I'm not joking.

No sign of it and I didn't enter one. No, it's still not there. Would it by any chance be some sort of Javascript thing? I don't run Javascript from websites, for fairly obvious reasons.

On the home page:

"To show your support for our campaign - please support our 'e-petition' here and we'll add your name to our e-newsletter and keep you up-to-date with any developments."

Sorry it's an e-newsletter obviously not the same thing as a newsletter.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They're there when I checked just now. 'Sent 05/17/2008 06:46:33'. Nothing better to do this time on a Saturday? ;-)

It appears as just a JPEG icon here using an old version of JavaScript.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Interesting....

In theory (!), if you couldn't see the 'captcha' letters, and therefore couldn't enter them - then your comment shouldn't have made it to the e-petition..... so I wonder how that happened....

I think I'll have to look into stopping the spammers server-side - there's a couple of easy checks that 'spot' spambot entries and 'kill' them before writing them to the e-petition file - maybe I'll look inot that and scrap the 'captcha'...

It's a 'bolt on' feature supplied as part of the web editing program - much of the form handling is done in php, but I'm not sure just how the 'captcha' bit works...

Thanks for the feedback folks ....

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Early start. Believe me I was looking forward to a lie-in, but the farmer's wives coven has a meeting over near Basingstoke and I was volunteered as driver.

Yes, I can see that the comment is there, but the site gave an error message and I can't find the spamtrap picture at all and I'm bemused about why the site accepted the comment if the "captcha" thing is an essential part of the process.

Still can't see it.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You & me both - up 0630 hours to pack the car for the local Farmers' market...

So am I - I'll have to have a paddle round the code....

Aha - well - you won't now, 'cos I've taken it off

- preparing for the avalance of spambot bother....

It's more of an irritation than a big deal, 'cos everything had to be validated by me before it gets published (had a couple of daft entries early on) - but it's annoying ploughing through 20 spambot messages and deleting each one...

However - I'm all for making it more 'user-friendly' - we don;t want to make it hard for folks to sign up to the e-petition...

You don;t recall what the error message was, do you ??

Ah well - it's raining out here in West Cork this afternoon - ideal weather for hacking server-side scripts !

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Sorry, no I wasn't pying attention that much. It seemed to be offended because Javascript is disabled in my browser and I got a error page that looked like it was generated by NoScript rather than by your site.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ah - OK.....

Odd that it let you post anyway.....

Have modded the page for the time being to remove the 'captcha' thing - and modded the (hidden) admin page so's I can bulk-delete spambot posts.

We'll see how it goes...

Thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I had a quick look at the page source. I am not particularly good with javascript, because I never learned it, but there are enough similarities with Coral66 which I did learn 20 years ago to have some idea of what is going on.

As far as I can see, if the scripts don't run, then the validation to decide not to send the form if there is a completion error doesn't run either, so anything gets through.

Who hasn't tested the No Script conditions then? ;-)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren