odometer readings on brand new cars???

Hi.... I just went to inspect my new Stang tonight... they just brought it in from another lot about 40 miles away. The car is a 2003 and is being purchased as "brand new". Upon my very first inspection of the car, I noticed that it has 100 miles on the odo. This seems like a lot to me. Other new cars I have seen being purchased brand new have had only 20 or 30 miles on them... this makes more sense. Is there a standard for this? I know my car was driven about 40 miles to get it to the lot where I bought it... ok, fine... but how did the other 60 miles get on it??? I of course questioned the sales crew, and nobody could give me a satisfactory answer. One did admit that the car may have been used a few times for potential customers to try out. All dealers do this, and I think this is a TERRIBLE practice!!! For all I know, some punk kid was ripping down the road at

6,000 rpm in my car when it had only 20 miles on it. Well, this goes for almost any dealership, whether the car has 20 miles or 100 miles on it. Gee, one Ford dealer I went to (different dealer than where I bought my car) showed me a new `04 GT... car had 17 miles on it... he started the engine and started racing the hell out of the engine in neutral to impress me... not something that I'd want someone to do to my own car so early in its life... does anyone at all respect the "break-in" period??? Anyway, finally, I am just curious as to how many miles were on people's cars when bought new... I'd love to hear some feedback. My guess is that everyone's response will be under 100 miles. I'd reject this car, but it was hard to find a 2003 silver GT vert with auto tranny in my area... I wanted to take advantage of the $2500 incentive for the `03... I had already called about 10 dealers just to find this car... not too many `03's left, poor selection... if I reject it now, I my never find another one and will then need to pay top dollar for an `04. So, one way I look at it is I am taking a car with 100 miles on it, but I am also saving $2500 in the process... or I can get a car with 30 miles on it and pay $2500 more.... and the 30 mile car may have been abused by a test driver or salesman anyway... so... I guess I'll just take this car. I suppose you can never really know what was done to a car before you buy it, unless you tear the engine down and do a full internal inspection. Comments? Thanks.
Reply to
GT-Vert-03

It could have been a dealer demo, it could also have been a car Ford pulled out of their shipping lot and test drove to make sure the quality was what it should be. Ford randomly picks a car out of their shipping lot every day and puts a few miles on it to do just that. I'll bet that it was a demo, or that they drove it from one dealership to another in order to save on the frieght/towing charges.............

Bill S.

GT-Vert-03 wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

My 03 GT 5spd purchased 1 month ago had 280 miles. It was the only one I could find with the right color. Sometimes dealers will get a vehicle from another and just drive it there plus a few test drives will add up. It seems to function okay when I test drove it and I get the warranty, so I'm not to concerned. I got 23mpg in mixed driving, better than I expected and I was expecting 19-21. Heck, I get 24-25 mpg in my 90hp 89 Escort with auto in mixed driving. It too is getting within spec (but at the lower end). Who'd of thunk it, a car weighing 1,200 lbs more with a V8 getting within 1 or 2 mpg of an escort.

John

Reply to
jriegle

It is rare that a new car will have only a few miles on it. Most are demo'ed at some point to potential buyers; few will purchase without driving the car first.

It's very possible that someone raced the piss out of it before your jeans hit the bucket. My '98 GT had been driven 65 miles before I test drove it. The dealer thought it odd that I drove it so gently. Some still respect the property of others, but most don't.

These cars are designed to be driven briskly, and they do not require a break-in period. Dealers would never tolerate outright abuse, but they must allow buyers to 'let the horses run' in order to make a sale. It is highly doubtful that anything was damaged. My GT still runs like new after 45,000 miles, and the shifter and rear-end are still just as quiet and tight as the day I took delivery. These modular V-8's can take a LOT of abuse without any problems at all.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

I work for a Ford dealer and I do the dealer trades. We have 5 stores in our dealership and it is not uncommon for me to drive a car between stores several times. Ask your salesperson what it is all about. In the state of Pa we try to keep it below 500 miles before a sale but if the customer agrees I will travel as much as 1000 miles one way to get it. Hope this helped.

Bill "GT-Vert-03" wrote in message news:oRa5b.127951$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net... : Hi.... I just went to inspect my new Stang tonight... they just brought it : in from another lot about 40 miles away. The car is a 2003 and is being : purchased as "brand new". Upon my very first inspection of the car, I : noticed that it has 100 miles on the odo. This seems like a lot to me. : Other new cars I have seen being purchased brand new have had only 20 or

[...]

the car has been sitting on the lot for about one year... 52 weeks so it was driven about 2 miles per week.. if that much.... you did drive the car before you bought it and saw the mileage on it?

Reply to
jim

I thought that as long as the car is not titled it can be sold as new. Of course you'd expect a few bucks off if it had a couple thousand miles. Having dug through the documents the ranger had 37 miles on the odometer and mustang had a whopping 3. Of course the truck was a dealer swap. The car was ordered and I waited 6 months for it. What I would suspect happened is they probably had some interested parties or even the salesfolks themselves took it out. That really isn't that bad if you think about it. Now if you really want to hear something bad, the first test drive the salesman rode along ( stock GT). When a black bullitt came in he threw me the keys and was going to let me go by myself but I waited for him to finish his paperwork and we went for a little ride.

Reply to
pete

We leased a 'new' '99 Expedition that had 340 miles on. I didn't notice until we were signing the paperwork. Salesman admitted the car was 'sold' on a Friday but Monday the financing didn't work out so they had to return it. Since it was never titled they said it could be sold as new.

What a lemon it turned out to be. It must have been driven hard for the weekend. Driveshaft, rear axle seals and brake pads replaced under warranty in the first two months. They could never (after 3 tries) get the vibration out of the driveline. We never pursued the lemon law. Traded it on a new '02 Explorer.

Hank Phoenix

Reply to
Hank

My stang had about 13 miles on it before I took delivery of it ...Here's what happened, the dealer had the exact color, package, options, etc that I wanted but the dealership has one sales lot and two storage lots, so the salesmans couldnt show me the car that night, so we took another coupe for a ride...I test drove that for about 10 miles or so, after I decided that I liked the Mustang, he told me to give him a day to locate the car, so I came back the next day and we took a GT to go to the other lot...I believe my car had about 3 or 4 miles, I test drove it for a few mins and decided that I wanted it...We parked it back at the storage lot, so noone else would test drive it...LOL...It was getting really late and the car still had the plastic on it, so we put off doing the paper work for another day. I went and picked it up the next day with 13 or so miles on it...The salesman put about 1.5 miles on the car bringing it from the storage lot to the gas station to the dealership lot...All in all I was quite happy...

I wouldn't think that 100 miles was alot...That to me would seem within reason...

Shane

Reply to
Shane Metzler

LOL! I bet she wished YOURS was too!

Kate

| > miles, and the shifter and rear-end are still just as quiet and tight as | the | > day I took delivery. | >

| > -JD | >

Reply to
SVTKate

I just bought a 2003 Mustang V6 this past May. When I went to look at the car it only had 6 miles on it. When I bought it the reading was up to 25 miles but those miles were put on by me test driving it. I went the other day to the BMW dealership to look at Minis with my friend who is interested in getting one. There was almost 200 miles on the car he was looking at. The dealer at BMW said that cars are considered new until you drive it off the lot and it doesn't change anything if there are a lot of miles on it (ie price).

Reply to
ASP Whiz

BAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAA

Reply to
memsetpc

Too true... all those years of beers ... (_|_)

- '02 GT Black

- We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.

Reply to
Jafo

If you are so worried about how many miles and how hard it was driven why not just order the car and get it _exactly_ how you want it? Sure you gotta wait a little while, but you get what you want and know it hasn't been abused.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

I agree. I ordered my Focus ( i know), from the factory. It had 8 Km's on it or 5 miles. I was going to get a 2002 GT but the interior finish just isn't what I expexted. I hope the 2005 Cobra will have better fit and finish inside. I will factory order that as well. You pay a little more (ok maybe a couple 1000 more) but you get exactly what you want. Zed

Reply to
Zed

at 03 Sep 2003, Zed [ snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.cis.dfn.de:

Not always. When my wife bought her previoustruck in '96 she actually get a better deal ordering one than picking one of the lot. They had the one she wanted to a tee. Except the exterior color. By ordering the exact same truck/level of trim but red instead of silver she got it for like 1500 less. Granted, she had to wait 8 weeks. :-)

Reply to
Paul

For all I know, some punk kid was ripping down the road at

So? That's the way V8 Mustangs are meant to be driven.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

BWHAHAHA!!! Sad but true...same goes for myself. :(

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

Are you serious? You didn't buy because the fit of interior parts wasn't up to par? In my book, interior part 'fit and finish' is about as important on a Mustang GT as back-seat legroom.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams

And that period would be........?

Ford's engineers tell us in our owner's manual that no break-in period is required, thanks just the same.

-JD

Reply to
JD Adams