Nice Ford Granada for sale

Nice little motor.

Reply to
BORG

He's expecting 300 quid _more_ for those hideous wheels? A 300 quid discount would be more in order, IMO.

BTW, why do people use the words "In good condition for the year"? It's simply asking cynical buggers like me to point out that those words could apply to _any_ car that's still in existence after 20 years.

All that aside, looks alright, dunnit.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Yer the wheels are brand new but I don't think they look right. I think the original wheels look much better. There is a discount of £300 if you don't have them wheels.

It is in good condition for the year compared to some of the hunka junkas I see for sale.

Reply to
BORG

I know. I was facetiously suggesting it should be the other way round.

Why not just say it's in good condition then? Adding "for the year" sounds like a cop out. It leaves me expecting to find the arches all bubbling with rust as the seller shrugs and says "What do you expect, it's twenty years old?"

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

LOL fair point and the offending line has now been removed :)

Reply to
BORG

I think the wheels are worth more than the car....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I've seen that one around here, and it looks OK. No obvious signs of bodging, and the engine sounds healthy. OTOH it's the carb.-fed model, isn't right at the top of the model range (top-end model and injection do help make a Granade more appealing) and it'll handle like a pig on skates in the wet with those wheels. And I don't need a Granada right now.

For 500 UKP, though, I reckon you could do much worse. nice, for that money.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I'll stick with my MK2 MG ZS180 thanks, not quite classic BUT one day for sure, with only 5,000 made :-)

John

Reply to
John & Lisa

Well, there's probably a reason for that, given what happened to the makers..

That said, I'm sticking to the '90 Rangie at present, but having had a look at that Granada a few times around the place I reckon it'd be a very decent buy for 500 UKP.

Must.... resist....

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

Didn't see that on the ad - or has it been changed?

And this ones looks pretty crusty round the edges.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would not argue with the fact the manufacturer went under. BUT that said, this is still one of the BEST uk built FWD miscle cars.

John

Reply to
John & Lisa

UK built FWD miscle car?

Oh dear, I don't even know where to begin with this one. It's wrong in so many ways. Even if you spell it correctly.

Reply to
Dean Dark

UK Built FWD Muscle cars? Come again? It's a warmed over family car. Muscle car = RWD and big V8 in my book - think TVR Chimera or Griffith for a UK built Muscle car, or a Ford Mustang, Dodge Charger, Chevy Corvette etc etc.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Erm, hate to break this to you, but it's just a Rover 45 with a bit more power and the entire Ripspeed catalogue thrown at it.

It will never be a sought after classic no matter how long you keep it.

There's lots of much better hot hatches out there.

Reply to
SteveH

All true, but we all know that a car doesn't necessarily have to be the 'best' in its class to become a classic.

Does make me wonder what the requirements are for a car to become a 'sought after classic' ... ?

Reply to
Janner

Respectfully, bollocks.

It's a shoddily made warmed over Honda that was in some respects inferior to the R8 it replaced (see 420GSi Turbo).

MGR did make a muscle car, the ZT260 (and unreleased 365). If you wanted a muscle car, you bought the wrong one.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

This is true, in a way. However, I would say that a real classic (and I'm not talking about Marinas etc here) should be something that was either a decent or interesting car during it's production run.

See above - a chavved up hatch will never be a 'classic' unless it was spectacularly good in it's day - hence the Pug. 205GTI rightly being considered a classic these days.

Reply to
SteveH

Argh, don't, just don't, ok.

I've just had an interview for a job wivva car..... suddenly the adverts for new MG ZT-T CTDIs look attractive.

Reply to
SteveH

makes a good start as a definition, if you shift it to cars. IIRC we came up with a formula for "classicness" in here based on those ideas, and it worked rather well. A google might turn it up.

And the contemporary Uno Turbo not being considered so. Yup. Makes sense. Ditto the Mk.1 Golf GTi having classic status while the Astra GTE doesn't.

Going back to where we began, a carb-fed Granada might not have classic status yet (but wait a while), but for 500 UKP the one advertised is a dam' fine SOC. Injected and with the X-pack it'd be more, but then it wouldn't be 500 UKP for a decent one.

Of recent MG/Rovers, the RWD MG260 and the few V8 Rovers which leaked out will make classic status fairly swiftly, and the original MG-F should before too long (not the bastardised TF, though). But the rest.... It'll be a good long time before anyone claims classic status for the CityRover or the Steetwise, I'd hope.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

They look attractive anyway, but at £13K, a bloody bargain IMO - if you are prepared for the warranty issues on niggling stuff. I doubt anything major would crop up with non-K Series models.

I really wanted a ZT260. Or Rover V8. Either one. At the time Contract Hire was £650pcm on a £30K car which could be bought for cash for £23K (before Rover folded!).

That was Mercedes SL money, or Porsche 911, or well - any number of cars closer to twice that cash.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK