Powell & Hammer

Hi there. Am trying to find out, where an air-powered car horn may have been in service. The horn is bell-shaped, made from black-painted brass. Bell-shaped part is ~ 5½ " (143 mm)long, ~8½" (214 mm) including "mouth piece". Inner, suporting section is iron. On the outside, there is a coin-like badge saying Powell & Hammer Ltd., Birmingham.

Somehow, I suspect it might be from a british car ;-)

Any help would be very much appreciated,

Your's Lars Denmark

Reply to
Lars Hansen

Are you sure it was air powered? Vacuum powered car horns were available as an accessory in the '50s.

Air horns with an electric compressor are still available - although they were at there most popular in the '60s/70s. Dunno of a UK maker - the ones I remember were Italian.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If - after taking a DEEP breath - I blow the best I can it gives i nice and very loud MOOOOOP - much the way you would expect from a small steamboat!! :-)

Reply to
Lars Hansen

Could be off a commercial lorry.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Never thought along those lines! Thanks for your tip.

Your's, Lars

Reply to
Lars Hansen

Bell, horn and black in the same sentence, I'm getting moist Mouth, piece and British, I've just arrived... sorry it was all too much

Reply to
Conor

... If only, but I shall dream of your 'tip' xxxx

Reply to
Conor