Re: Triumph 6 cyl engines

In message , Willy Eckerslyke writes

Quick question: Is the Triumph 2000 Mk1 saloon engine the same as a >Vitesse Mk2? >Or are the valves smaller as (I think) in the Vitesse Mk1 2L? >I've spotted a cheap engine on Ebay within reach of me which at its >current price would be worth storing in a dark corner in case I ever >needed it. >Any wisdom appreciated. >

AFAIK, the MK1 2000 engine is the 95bhp one as used in the Vittesse 2L Mk1. The104bhp engine was only in the Mk2.

The MK1 head has poorer inlet and exhaust ports.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Roughly speaking, Mk1 2000 matches the Vitesse 2L Mk1, Mk2 2000 matches the Vitesse 2L Mk2. I believe the engine has a slightly higher compression ratio in Vitesse applications, but there are so many production quirks that I can't pretend to know them all for the 6 cylinder Triumph engines - I've only just got my head round the 4 cylinders! Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

All the 6 cylinder engines are more or less interchangeable - the canted over ones are the same block - you may have to tap out the engine mounting holes on the block but the holes are cast in OK. As Jonners says, the front plates are different as the 2000s use engine mounts on the front plates and the Vitesse/GT6 use mounts on the block - you can just hack the front plate mounts off or even leave them on if you're not fussed. Alloy front (& rear) plates are available if you like too. Swapping heads gets more tricky as the studs are larger on the more recent blocks - same pattern so you can upgrade an early block to late spec but it's a machine shop job really. NB also gaskets are different and some of the later blocks are recessed - 2500 PI (saloon and TR6) ones are - can't remember the change point.There's a long nose and short nose crank difference and the throw can present sump problems on the 2.5 but all these issues can be fixed and have been before, usually with a mix and match of parts. For your purposes, I'd say a Mk 1 2000 engine would be a useable spare if fitted as a complete unit.

Check out the info pages on the Canley Classics site.

In article , Chris Morriss writes

Not quite. The Mk1 saloon has the same narrow head as the Mk1 Vitesse. However, the Vitesse had bigger valves and wider inlet ports (in the manifold at least). The saloon only gave 85bhp or so.

The Mk2 engine in the saloon is the full width head, with bigger ports than the Mk1 engine (in any form). I think they are the same as the Vitesse, but the Vitesse engine had bigger valves again.

Also the camshaft profiles were different between the Vitesse and the

2000. The Vitesse camshaft was actually the same as the 2.5PI
Reply to
Robert Pearce

Thanks everyone for the excellent replies. It's just as well I asked! I'll give it a miss as the main item I could envisage myself using would probably have been the cylinder head. If anyone else is interested, the engine is on Ebay (where else?), in Oswestry and still has a couple of days to run. Price when I last looked was a tenner and included "all ancilliaries". He makes no claims at all about the condition, just that it "was running".

Willy Eckerslyke