Reg Nos (OT)

Sorry for raising an off topic subject but I thought someone here might know the answer to a registration number that puzzled me today.

I was driving back from the Lake District when I came up behind what looked like a current right hand drive Fiesta. Nothing unremarkable about that but although the car showed no nationality plate the registration number was just a series of 5 digits and I was under the impression that all UK registrations contained at least one letter.

So can anyone help me out by saying which country/dependancy has such a registration system?

Roger

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Roger Chapman waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Guernsey I think.

Reply to
Pete M

Purely numeric series' have been issued in the UK in the past and I see them fairly regularly transferred to modern vehicles, often (irritatingly) with silver on black plates. Sorry I don't know when or where they would have been issued - presumably the Newreg "was it issued?" link might throw some light on a specifc sequence:

Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

Guernsey, I think..Jersey ones have a J suffix.

Reply to
Phil Howard

Guernsey, I think..Jersey ones have a J suffix.

There should be what looks like a "GB" on the number plate which will be "GBG"

Reply to
Phil Howard

Guernsey, I think..Jersey ones have a J suffix.

There should be what looks like a "GB" on the number plate which will be "GBG"

Reply to
Phil Howard

No, they are only available on Gurnsea vehicles... and in Guernsea, you can still legally use black/white plates on modern cars.

Reply to
Howard Rose

The message from "Phil Howard" contains these words:

Thanks to various folks including Phil.

Having watched a few instalments of Bergercoat I was aware that Jersey numbers (or at least some of them) had a J in them. I have no idea what the other channel islands or the Isle of Man do.

This particular numberplate was blank apart from the 5 digit number. ISTR that the yellow wasn't quite standard but it didn't have a border or anything else that might suggest a potential export.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Chapman

The message from "William Davies" contains these words:

Thanks. Tried that but it came back that it wasn't a valid reference number. I couldn't however be certain I had remembered the number correctly but it certainly started with 74.

Roger

Reply to
Roger Chapman

It's becuase it's from Guernsea (see my last post). They just use 5 numbers on the plate, no letters. And they can use the older colours on modern vehicle... Usually loads where I live (Poole), becuase it's where the Ferry comes in :-)

might explain it.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Hi Howard, I'll stop being irritated by them :-) My mistake, I'd never realised these were Guernsey numbers - it does of course explain why they are so common on Black plates...... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
William Davies

Snap!

Same here today. A goldish Fiesta with black reg plates which only had

5 italicised digits on them. At first I thought it might be an old Irish reg, but now realise (from reading below) just what it was.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon