Searching for a Solex Carb. (Bit O.T.)

I am searching for another 1920s/30s brass Solex 26MV updraught carburettor and was wondering if anyone on the group might know of one, possibly on a shed/garage shelf etc., or anywhere anywhere else to look. The corner I don't look in, is the corner that may have one!! Thanks in advance.

Dave Carter.

Dave Carter.

BTW what's it off.

Reply to
Rob

I'm going to make a wild guess that the "Bolton-Paul" in the url is significant...

Ian

Reply to
Ian

It is the name of the album I have a few shots kept for reference. This is what the carb is on:-

and I would like another to go on the recent aquisition of a 1924 model :-

?action=view&current=BP2003.jpg These carbs were also fitted to some marine engines and Amilcars of around 1100cc.

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
Dave Carter.

Solex is also significant as they would have supplied to numerous manufactures, so a wider appeal when sourcing is what I was looking at not just the Bolton-Paul. They were on stationary engines. Now I can ask those who restore these engines. And apparently these particular carby models were on Triumph cars.

So it doesn't just stop at the Boulton-Paul.

At the moment I have enquired on nine newsgroups/forums, (two to go!), and sent adverts off to six classic mechanically orientated preservation magazines. So, hopefully, something may turn up.

There is another guy who has been looking for the same carb model recently. He bought a Boulton and Paul engine some months ago. Ironically, it was I who told him the original carb fitment!

Regards, Dave Carter.

Reply to
Dave Carter.

I have one of these carbs on my Crossley 14hp.

They are not that uncommon at the "better" autojumbles as they were used on quite a few 1920s cars including Austin 7s (as a tuning option, not as an original fitting). There are two versions, the earlier with a barrel throttle and later ones with a more conventional butterfly. The barrel is supposed to give better idling but that could be a myth but it is more sort after.

They are not cheap. The barrel version seems to go for £80 up and the butterfly from £60. I have seen hopeful sellers asking up to £200.

I would be surprised if vintage autojumbler John Firth Tel/Fax: 01423 565430 hasn't got one available.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

It is the butterfly type I'm after and =A360 to =A380 is about what I was expecting to pay.

I recognise the Harrogate code, only 35 miles away. I'll give him a ring and see what he can come up with. Many thanks. Regards, Dave.

Reply to
Dave Carter.