Solex H30-PictS carb set up

Hi Ramva! Time to work on the bugs again.Been checking the new bug (STD '70) and found some weird things going on under the decklid. She has an adapted toyota electronic dizzy with a vacuum port, but the vacuum hose is missing. it's been backfiring a little when I let go off the throttle after hard acceleration. What are the consecuences of this?

Also, I feel it's running seriously rich (I can smell the gas on the exhaust if I press the throtle enough), what is the right way to set up the Solex H30PictS? I think is a brazilian version of the 30 pict.

The engine leaks from the pushrod tubes, but I can deal with that later. Besides that, it feels good (a little slow, but OK). BTW, is a 1300 single port engine.

TIA for your help. Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

check for exhaust leak...especially at the heatertube/jtube to muffler/header junction....

Joey Tribiani

Depending on the model, the Toyota distributor is a popular mod for the VW, being better made than the Bosch, using a magnetic reluctor instead of points and being of the composite vacuum/centrifugal type.

Although the distributor can be set-up to operate without the vacuum advance, some means of initiating a change in rpm must be provided, such as jacking up the output of the accelerator pump. Even then it will usually display the characteristic flat spot on its advance curve. Attempts to eliminate the flat spot often results in an overly rich mixture.

Best bet is to re-connect the vacuum advance and tune the carb to spec, using either the factory service manual, the instructions in a carb overhaul kit or the instructions in the Haynes manual for beetles & ghias.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
veeduber

I'm curious about using a Toyota distributor on a beetle engine. I imagine you could get one at the auto wrecker for cheap, but I'm wondering which Toyota vehicle would have a dizzy like this, and what mods have to be made to make it work? Unless its a drop in. (I highly doubt)

Ryan.

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

Depending on the model, the Toyota distributor is a popular mod for the VW, being better made than the Bosch, using a magnetic reluctor instead of points and being of the composite vacuum/centrifugal type.

Although the distributor can be set-up to operate without the vacuum advance, some means of initiating a change in rpm must be provided, such as jacking up the output of the accelerator pump. Even then it will usually display the characteristic flat spot on its advance curve. Attempts to eliminate the flat spot often results in an overly rich mixture.

Best bet is to re-connect the vacuum advance and tune the carb to spec, using either the factory service manual, the instructions in a carb overhaul kit or the instructions in the Haynes manual for beetles & ghias.

-Bob Hoover

Reply to
Ryan Lester

Thanks a lot Joey, indeed, there's a small exhaust leak, it doesn't even fweem right. I'll deal with that on the weekend.

Karls

Reply to
Karls Vladimir Peña

Thanks Hoover, I'll connect the vacuum hose and tune the carb, but if that doesn't make it feel considerably better, I'll just change to SVDA + compufire. Do they modify the engine in any way to make the toyota dizzy fit?

Karls

Karls Vladimir Peña wrote:

[...]

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:59:41 -0600, "Ryan Lester" scribbled this interesting note:

Easy question. Easy answer.

(toyota)+group:rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled+author:veeduber&rnum=1&hl=en#26cf5977c7886246

John Willis

well i'm not Bob(for sure...LOL) and don't mean to step on his toes, but to answer your last question the modifications for the toyota distributor to work in the VW engine are all made to the distributor itself....Bob did an excellent article on it some time back...do a google search in this group and you should find it...great read...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:39:26 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" scribbled this interesting note:

Here's one possibility for you.........