Sliiding wheel cylinders

Hi Jon, Has the handbrake lever worn a groove into the backplate? I filled one of mine with weld and then ground it smooth to prevent this problem. Dunno if it would actually have been sticking - I did it when it was dismantled before testing it out, but it looked so extreme I deemed it worth the effort. It was fine afterwards.

I usually put the flat clip on first, i.e. nearest the backplate.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I have a Spit 15000 which is defying all attempts to get a MoT pass on the handbtrake. When I got it it was missing the sliding clips on the offside wheel cylinder and the pull off springs. Ive given it a new cable, clips, springs, new seals in the piston and its all adjusted up as per the book. Ive done loads of these over the years and never had such grief before... Does it matter which way round the clips go? One is flat and one is curved and narrower. Which one goes nearest the backplate cos getting it wrong is the only thing I can now think of that could be messing it up. Jonners

Reply to
Jon Tilson

Hi, Dont Know if this wiil help or not, i had a problem with my Austin A60 cambridge the hand brake had not worked too well for quite a while despite adjusting shoes and cable E.C.T and it turned out to be the hand brake lever itslef in the car had spilt were the rivet goes though the bottom most of the way along on one side it was not noticeable at first due to the carpet I dont know how the lever is in a spitfire but i belive that the wheel cylinders with the slideing backs are more or less the same as the A60s i hope this might be another thing to look at that will help. George P,S just a long shot but the shoes are ok as onece i got abit of hypoid oil from the halfshaft on a bottom shoe and did not notice at first!!!

Reply to
George Weatherley

Thanks to "Willy" and George but I did get a pass late today uisng different shoes and replacng a fatigued clevis on the end of the cable. This broke on me as I was tightening the new cable another turn or two. I reversed the order of the clips and it makes no difference to the effectiveness so I guess either way is ok. Jon

Reply to
Jon Tilson

jon, Glad to hear you got it done so the shoes were at fault then, still its got the ticket now. Regards George

Reply to
George Weatherley

Hi The correct way for the clips are :large "stiff" clip on first and the thinner "springy" clip on second with the convex shape away from the backplate ie the more difficult way to fit! this acts to put a little spring loaded pressure on the slide to prevent cylinder from slopping around.

Another important thing to remember is to make sure the cable adjustment is right off before adjusting shoes, the cables are the last thing to adjust.

jim

Reply to
Jim