GPS and the like

Okay it's dumb question time!! I am in the market for a GPS system, if I am to believe all the hype. The Tom Tom Go 300 looks to be the best between price, function and ease of use.

Question is to those who have used such, could I tap in OS grid refs to plot a course or is it solely reliant on postal codes and addresses????

I would like a system that can manage both!!

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Grant Jump

Ive got the Tom Tom One, which i think is the best in the range. S/W is superb, and the H/W is neat tidy, and small.

You cant navigate to grid ref, only Postcodes however you can navigate to a point on a map once you point at it!

PocketGPSworld has loads of info on all types of gps units.

Darren will probably be along soon!

Mark

9090
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I use a tomtom go 300, had it since the summer. the maps don't show much off-road detail. you can't navigate to grid refs (postcodes, addresses, prestored/downloads locations - yes) also it assumes you are on a road, so if you go offroad it will 'snap' to the nearest road.

otherwise it's great. i use it alot with work, finds my clients addresses, gives me route info, finds me lpg garages, pizza hut, cash points etc etc etc.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

postcodes. You must enter a street address or a town centre name which in use has not been a problem. Postcodes must be slightly easier though.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Consider getting a PDA and adding a GPS receiver and software to that, that way you can use software like tomtom and all its advantages on road and software like memory map off road.

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Considered the tom tom, but the physical size was not in it's favour, being too big to simply pocket when parking the car up in an area I am not familliar with. So opted for the navman 520. Must say that as my dad has a tom tom 300 have compared both side by side, almost nothing between them as functionalito goes, however the portability of the navman for me winns hands down. Hope this helps

Reply to
Dad

yes, am considering using a laptop, but have yet to research the necessary. got as far as finding pages like this for the hardware:

They share data source?

Reply to
William Tasso

I got a mio 168, I then got the software, medion Navigator to put on it, cheap as chips and great for road nav.

Now then , for off road you can fork our alot for Memory map or a little for GPSdash2 and make/rob/borrow your own maps (It's not hard!). At the end of the day you will get what you pay for.

I think GPSwarehouse are doing Mio 168's at around £170 and the newer Mio A201 for £230 or so.. Add the software to that (or visit ebay!) and your looking at a cheap multifuctional platform that will slip in your arse pocket....just don't sit down though!

Because it's PDA based you'll find that the PDA suddently becomes like a watch or mobile phone... leave it at home and you just don't feel right. I work shifts and the Calendar function alone is worth the money let alone the GPS which is fantastic. We toured France and northern Spain with ours, can't fault it!

google will find all the bits I've mentioned above.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

sat nav was cheap in kwiksave last time i walked past pda was £129 and garmin i3 was £99

Reply to
jOn

I use a Garmin StreetPilot 2610, can't fault it for my needs. I can input lat/long numbers too, as you can with most GPS units, though it's painful on my Garmin eTrex. And they all share the same software for input of waypoints via my laptop or desktop

Karen

-- "I'd far rather be happy than right any day."

- Slartibartfast

Reply to
Karen Gallagher

Also bear in mind that if you've a heated windscreen it will severly limit your GPS reception. In this case look for something with a remote aerial, or use a PDA with a Bluetooth GPS receiver. My Fortuna receiver wedges nicely under the sunroof blind on my RRC, at least until I open the sunroof!

Gordon.

Reply to
gbubb

I get some degredation on a 96 HSE but I bought a plug in aerial on eBay and ran the nice thin cable out the door and up the window seal and mag-mounted it on the roof. It works without the aerial but just seems to take longer to lock-in.

This is a GPS card pluging into the Hx4700 palm top running TomTom 5. I think the aerial cost about seven quid but be careful - there are two almost identical plug types.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

The two connector types referred to above are MCX and MMCX.

If you have a Fortuna Clip-On Bluetooth GPS you will need an antenna with MCX. Here's a link to an appropriate antenna

Owen

YooNoo LTD

Reply to
omhaigh

I've had no problems with the Mio and it's built in antenna on the Disco, RRC, Laguna or fully kitted Merc Sprinter Police Carrier :-)

I did have problems with a GPS mouse I used prior to getting the Mio, this was used on a laptop based system.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

The TomTom ONE is technically superior, it has the much better SiRFStarIII receiver which is almost a must have now.

The GO's however (inc the ONE and RIDER) cannot accept OS Grid Refs. For that consider a PocketPC. You could then run TomTom Navigator for on-road use and Memory-Map for OS mapping off piste.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Or a receiver with SiRFStarIII which is unaffected by heated screens, athermic windscreens etc.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

I'm glad you like the 520 but the GO range have many features that the 520 lacks. 7 Digit PostCode, support for Traffic Services, better custom POI support, custom voices etc.

The ONE is far slimmer than the GO 300, 500 and 700's btw :)

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

"Grant Jump" ha scritto nel messaggio news:ayaCf.18447

Not quite, the best is the TomTom ONE - more speed, more satellites, less thickness, 100 euros less.

Reply to
Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq.

...and Vincenzoni Attilio, Esq. spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I like the look of the Tomtom One, but the last time I looked it didn't do European street-level mapping, just the major roads. Is possible to upgrade the One to take the Euro maps, like they supply with the 700?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Darren - can you recommend a decent datalogger? I want GPS data either real time or in batches, uploaded to my server via GPRS.

Should exist.....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs