Old mobiles. Quite possibly Nokia.

Hmm. Whilst faffing about in the 4.6 this afternoon I discovered it has an old style mobile hands free kit. I knew it had the aerial, but this afternoon discovered that everything else is there as well, but I don't know what type of phone it uses.

Probably an ancient Nokia, 3110 or similar. It has the aerial plug where it'd go into the back of the phone and around 8 connections on the multiplug at the bottom. It's hyuuuuge compared to a K750i.

But I want the phone now.

Is it worth me going and taking a pic of the holder?

Reply to
Pete M

Yes of course. Is it a cark-91?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

That'd be a cark-91. The 6310i would be the best phone that would fit, though you can now buy a "pop port" adaptor so you can use the later nokias like the 6230

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

If it's the one I think it is, it'll probably need a 5 or 6 series Nokia (maybe 7 series too). A s**te old Nokia 5110'll do ya fine, but if you use text messaging even a little bit it'll annoy the f*ck out of you as it'll store about 2.8 messages and be full up. 6210s and 6310s are better (there's a 6310i as well - dunno if that's much different or even if a non-i one exists) - 6310is have bluetooth aswell, which can be handy. And they're all cheap as chips these days.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Sounds like a CARK-91, a Nokia 6310i will fit that, one of the most reliable phones they ever did...

Reply to
Abo

Unfortunately not.

I suspect it could be an ancient Motorola or something.

If you're wondering how I didn't know it was there, it turns out that the centre console lid has a rather funky but bizarre ability to flip through 180 degrees and this is what lives on the other side.

Yes I know it needs cleaning. Gimme a break, I didn't even know it was there, ffs.

Reply to
Pete M

Is it just me or a lot of modern mobiles a lot less user friendly in terms of the most basic task of actually pressing the buttons?

IMO the old-ish Nokias (not the really old ones with the rubber buttons) -

3310, 6210/6310 were pretty much the nicest, most user-friendly phones about - nice easy to use plastic buttons that stuck out from the surface of the phone (I can't think of the word - opposite of recessed) - much, much better than these horrible square buttons that most modern phones seem to have.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

I suspect not. I know a CARK-91 when I see one.

Reply to
Pete M

No, modern mobiles are really unfriendly, especially if you've got big hands. Wifey's got a Samsung something or other with a touch screen and I can't stand it. I've got a blackberry which is ok, but I never take it out in public cos I'd instantly be classed as a tosser ..

6310i still stands out to me as the best *phone* I ever used.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Third party? Unless it's a *really* old one to fit e.g. a Nokia 5.1 or something?

Reply to
Abo

anything is possible. Thankfully GSM had taken over analogue when the car was made so if I find out what phone it is, it'll probably be possibly to get it to work.

Reply to
Pete M

It's a P38, innit?

In which case, it may well be for a BMW phone.

May be worth asking Hog from UKRM - he had one in his E38.

Reply to
SteveH

Well, it's not the Motorola V50, 'cos that was too late - but ISTR there was a Siemens one in the 90s.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmm, you may have something there.

Reply to
Pete M

Apple have got Bluetooth sorted.

Just drag and drop - 'it just works'.

Takes a while, though, via Bluetooth.

Reply to
SteveH

No..

It'll take a Nokia 6310i, arguably the best mobile phone ever made and the one I'd buy.

You can put in..

3110 3120 6210 6310
Reply to
Conor

I use mine as a modem quite a lot, 'cos hotel WiFi is piss-takingly expensive if they don't have OpenZone, T-Mobile or another of the roaming partners.

You put it in a holder stuck to the screen / dash.

Reply to
SteveH

It's legal to use one of your hands to press buttons on a phone that's in a holder that wobbles every time you touch it but it's not legal to use the same hand to hold and press buttons on a phone?

Reply to
Doki

The trouble is that there's too much background noise I think. I only ever got it working successfully on my 6310i.

Reply to
Conor

That's it, yes.

Reply to