Spitfire driveshafts

Hello

I have just obtained two halfshafts for my Triumph Spitfire 1500 which is needing the rear wheel bearings to be replaced. I thought that i could put these two halfshafts on while i replace the bearings in the original halfshafts, then sell these to recoup at least some of my money while all the while keeping my lovely car on the road. However here i have a problem i was wondering if anybody could help me with! One of the halfshafts (which are second hand items i came across) was advertised as being without a u-j, no problem i thought. not much for one of them from rimmer bros, however upon receiving the halfshaft i see that it really was without a u-j, someone has removed the yoke from the driveshaft. I was not aware that this was ever really done, i thought that damage to the yoke (which is why i presume it was removed) is repaired by replacing the entire driveshaft. Is it possible to put a new yoke on the driveshaft or do i need to replaced the entire driveshaft? If it is possible to put a new yoke on, does anybody know where i can obtain one from??

I hope someone can help me with this, i hope i don't have to replace the entire driveshaft..

many thanks in advance

Mark Edwards

Reply to
Mark Edwards

Sorry Mark, you've bought a scrap driveshaft. There was a faulty batch of shafts in circulation about 10 years ago. These suffered from the yoke not being a sufficiently tight fit on the shaft. The yoke would begine to move and rock on the solid fixing pin. Sometimes the oin breaks and the whole lot comes apart, other times the yoke simply creaks alarmingly. Either way, the solution was to return the shaft to the supplier and get a new one or your money back, not likely to happen 10 years later. Do you think the seller made an honest mistake, or were you deliberately mislead? Describing a missing yokee as part of the UJ is at best uninformed, at worst dishonest. Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies