triumph spitfire

I have a 79 Spitfire a want to get the body off. I have removed all the bolts and also the two rear "panhard" (sp?) arms that did have attachments to the body, but the rear seems firmly attached still.. I can lift up the front part of the body but it still seems attached somewhere in the middle at the rear.. HELP PLEASE!!

Reply to
rondoc

You have removed the petrol tank and then the two mountings found under the tank (actually I think you can see the mounting points without removing the tank but can't actually remove the bolts until you have), also you have removed the transmission tunnel seat-belt mounts?...

Might I ask why you are removing the body, I ***strongly*** recommend that you do not remove (nor) open the doors before or after the body is lifted from the chassis as you stand a good chance of distorting the body if all *three* parts of each sill assembly are not in A1 condition.

Reply to
Jerry

: : : You have removed the petrol tank and then the two mountings found : under the tank (actually I think you can see the mounting points : without removing the tank but can't actually remove the bolts until : you have), also you have removed the transmission tunnel seat-belt : mounts?... :

Sorry to follow up my own (bad form and all that) but as soon as I sent the message I also remembered that there are two mounting bolts that are hidden under sound deadening pads behind the seats and in front of the petrol tank, were the floor steps up and just to the side of the transmission tunnel - you should be able to feel the bolt-heads through the pads if you don't want to remove all of the pads.

Reply to
Jerry

I am in the middle of a Spitfire restoration myself. the details of which can be found on my website.

Hopefully you will find the information I have there useful. I have also taken off the body but before I did I welded 2" box section across the door gaps, and after each operation I have replaced the doors to check for the gaps.

It probably is not the problem you have but make sure you disconnect the handbrake cable, we had terrible trouble with a GT6 body we were trying to remove and only got it half off before we had to reach for the cutters.

Steve

Reply to
<info

: : It probably is not the problem you have but make sure you disconnect the : handbrake cable, we had terrible trouble with a GT6 body we were trying to : remove and only got it half off before we had to reach for the cutters. :

Why did you have to "reach for the cutters", to release the said handbrake all one has to do is remove one clevis pin, if you can't do that simple task I would suggest it's time to give up!

Reply to
Jerry

When you have 1968 GT6 that has not moved for 8 years, a handbrake cable that is going to be replaced and the body 3 feet up in the air why prat about undoing clevis pins which would be rusted solid anyway. I am sure the

3 people holding the body would have been very impressed while I said "hold on lads I've got an idea", lets take out the clevis pins.

Steve

Reply to
<info

: I am sure the : 3 people holding the body would have been very impressed while I said "hold : on lads I've got an idea", lets take out the clevis pins. :

Then put the body back down!

Reply to
Jerry

BTW...

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is it such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

Reply to
Jerry

Ah, Jerry, back for his usual bad tempered rants before flouncing off in a few weeks

You don't acrually know how a Herald/Spitfire/GT6 handbrake system works, do you? What single clevis pin do you think would split it?

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Reply to
Alan Smith

Nah I have little or no knowledge of whatever a small chassis Triumphs are bit like you by the sound of it.

Alan...

Reply to
Alan Smith

Coo, the ol' stopped clock is almost right. There /is/ a clevis pin there in the parts book. Mind you, it's not 121699. I'm pretty sure the last one of these I worked on was rivetted there.

Ian.

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Yes agree, it does become expensive when one only has to undo something instead just cuts it off.

Had a problem with an MG and cut instead of remove cost a few dollars to replace and repair.

Reply to
Rob

What utter hogwash, opening the doors will be just fine Who the hell would listen to 'JLE' anyway...yes we know who you are jle...

Reply to
Rob, Jane and Freddy