Wanted: Good home for and Aging Cavalier V6

A friend at work has a J reg 2.5Ltr V6 Cavalier. It is an Automatic and has recently had a new gear box. It has no tax or MOT and does need some TLC. It needs a new home or it will be off the the great scrap heap in the sky on the 1st October.

He really would like to avoid scrapping it if possible and will take a nominal fee for it (to be discussed with him).

If you are interested please drop me a line at the address below. (Dont forget to de-spam the addy!)

Cheers Mike 8-{>

Remove .co.uk from Reply To: address.

-=*=- Gravity is a harsh Mistress -=*=-

-=*=- The Tick -=*=-

Reply to
Mike Roberts

He wouldn't get anything for scrapping it, he would have to pay to have it crushed. No one will want it unfortunately even though it was a good car. He'll find himself having to pay to have it removed rather than hoping someone will pay him.

Reply to
james

"james" wrote

Not any more, I think you'll find. Scrap has risen in value and you don't have to pay to have a car crushed now.

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

I'll agree with what Vince said - you're talking s**te. Scrapyards do pay for scrap motors now, thanks to the price of scrap metal having risen in recent times. And I would guess the owner only wants a bit of beer money for it (10-20 quid), which is well worth it to someone it'd be of use to, who could afford the time/effort/skills into giving it the attention it requires.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

As others have pointed out things have changed. Thanks entirely to the rise in consumption of steel by China. Cars may not be worth much but you dont have to pay the scrap man any more. I know this for a fact having scrapped a car last year. It didnt cost me a penny.

Also as others have said this is just a beer money job. My mate would hate to see what was once a sporty car scrapped. Someone might like a restoration project. IIRC recent press reports suggested that the Cavalier is now relatively scarce so it might be worth someones while grabbing theis opportunity.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

Remove .co.uk from Reply To: address.

-=*=- Gravity is a harsh Mistress -=*=-

-=*=- The Tick -=*=-

Reply to
Mike Roberts

Mike Roberts ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

?!

Scarce does not necessarily mean worth restoring...

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe not so sporty, but at least the V6 had a reasonable amount of go.

Worth running as a fun car though, if it doesn't need too much doing.

Reply to
PC Paul

My aplogies for the missapplication of the term "sporty" not being a petrol head of any worth I have no clue ;) Just trying to avoid the car being scrapped as the subject says.

As I havent had any interest here or privately by mail I suspect it's off to China to become cheap PC cases for this one. Thanks for the replies. Cheers Mike 8-{>

Remove .co.uk from Reply To: address.

-=*=- Gravity is a harsh Mistress -=*=-

-=*=- The Tick -=*=-

Reply to
Mike Roberts

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mike Roberts wittered on forthwith;

'Spose I may as well ask, where is it?

Reply to
Pete M

Near Stevenage, Herts.

Cheers Mike 8-{>

Remove .co.uk from Reply To: address.

-=*=- Gravity is a harsh Mistress -=*=-

-=*=- The Tick -=*=-

Reply to
Mike Roberts

Does anybody know if the engine would bolt onto a Carlton gearbox? In the same way that a Cavvy 1.8 or 2.0 will? Without adaptor plates and stuff. It could come in handy for my Suzuki Samurai which is currently running with a Cavvy 2.0i lump on a Carlton box. The car will almost certainly have alloys. They will be worth something to somebody wanting to pimp an old Astra van or something...

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Don't know re: the Carlton gearbox, but as you say, the 1.8/2 litre engines are the same in Cavaliers/Carltons, so it might do, but bear in mind that the 6-pot engines in the Cavaliers were V6s and the Carlton had straight 6s, and I don't know if that gearbox would handle the extra power and torque from the V6. Might be worth asking on the CavWeb forums if they're still about.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

CavWeb is now VxOnline,

I would have thought if it's worth that much trouble, it would be worth dropping the engine & box in as a unit?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

: In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, : Mike Roberts wittered on forthwith; : : > As I havent had any interest here or privately by mail I suspect it's : > off to China to become cheap PC cases for this one.

: 'Spose I may as well ask, where is it?

Between Japan and Russia, but that's not important right now.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Think about the direction the engine's pointing in a Cav, then think about a Carlton and a Suzi 4wd...

Reply to
Adrian

The bell housing bolt linings will be the same, but you may need to source a clutch disc with the proper splines. A 1.8/2.0 Cavvy plate will probably be too weak for the torque, so think 'diesel'.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In news:SdrPg.20760$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk, Sandy Nuts wittered on forthwith;

GM have one good trait. They specify clutches with something like 70% extra torque capacity as standard on virtually everything. A 2.0 Cav clutch should easily handle the V6's torque output.

Reply to
Pete M

"Pete M" wrote in message news:%YrPg.20777$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Given the type of driver that some of their cars appeal to they probably think it's necessary.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Would this be a good time to mention that I've got a diff (well, final drive unit to be technically correct) from a Carlton 2.3TD, sitting here? Complete with driveshafts, and (last time I checked) undamaged ABS sensors. Well, I say from a Carlton 2.3TD - it was bought for a 2.3TD Estate I had at the time, and I checked out the part numbers on Vauxhall's EPC system, and discovered that a diff from an early 2 litre Estate was exactly the same unit. Early meaning a certain digit in the chassis number being in a certain part of the alphabet. Found a 2.0 Carlton Estate for sale for spares, asked "what's the xxxth digit on the VIN number", bought the car, took the diff off, never got around to getting it fitted before the engine blew up!

Anyway, I've had the bloody thing for ages, and it's been sitting out in the garden, underneath a couple of layers of old boot carpet, and when I took it out things seemed to spin freely, with no grumbling or dodgy bearing noises. It's at home, which is Berkshire, and it's free (or for a small amount of beer money) to a good home, providing they pick the thing up.

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Do you have a local free-ad type paper? When we trade at shows in your area we always find a large bias towards Vauxhall with the local enthusiasts, understandable with the proximity to Luton. Try advertising locally as long as you can do so cheaply - somebody will want it, if only for parts, Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies