Steel wheels - spoked or modular?

Hi, after the groups excellent advice on tyres, I ordered a set of BFG AT 235/85R16's for my Defender 90, and because they blew my budget I decided to get them fitted to my existing rims for now and to purchase better ones later. However, my excitement of trying out my new tyres was quickly dampended by the fitter pointing out that my existing rims needed tubes, and they don't have any tubes of the right size in stock. As I was going to buy new wheels in the long term, I thought I'd phone round a couple of places to get some wheel prices as I was going to have to buy tubes anyway. Unfortunately none of the local 4x4 traders could guarantee a delivery by Saturday, and because I am very keen to take part in the Salisbury Plain off road treasure hunt I had to stump up the extra price for tubes for now which the fitter could get for tomorrow, and go back to plan A for changing the wheels later.

Anyway, enough rambling, suffice to say that I can not find much information to help me choose between steel spoked wheels and the modular wheels. Is there a preference anybody can share with me? Is it purely cosmetic? And will they fit over my drum brakes on the rear? I do not want alloys particularly, unless there is some dramatic benefit to them off road other than cosmetic. And Richard could you supply a price for steel wheel options please :-)

Advthanksance,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

Hello I would go for the modular but that is purely for cosmetic reasons I would like some for my rangie, I have seen plenty of defenders and series with steels I cant see there being a problem especially as they would be 16" wheels, I look forward to meeting you on Saturday I am the navigator of my friends disco

Reply to
Brendan

Modulars, 8-spokes - they will all fit and look OK. I've had both, and can only say that the mods I have look far better than the 8-spokes after a year or so on the vehicle. The 8-spokes seem to rust very rapidly and look tatty in short order, whereas the modulars (silver) have been on the road and in competition for a couple of years and still look new (if I clean 'em).

Please make sure that the tyres you have got are suitable for tubes - often the tubeless type are NOT suitable with tubes, as they have a rough surface inside that will abrade the tube and then you get a blowout - which with a tubeless tyre can be pretty quick and catastrophic. Your fitter *should* be able to tell you this.

Alloys look better and as they are (in theory) lighter, they give better handling on the road. Off-road, this matters not, and the fact that alloys can crack if you hit them hard, whereas steel wheels will bend, means that hardly anyone uses alloys for serious off-road activity. Steels can be hammered back into shape in an emergency, whereas alloys are scrap.

You can probably get a set of modulars from Craddocks, Paddocks et al for around a ton a set (Mangels being a good choice) - personally, I would have burned the credit card and got the wheels along with the tyres, and had it all right from the start. Tubes ain't cheap, and if you go tubeless you won't have much use for them.

HTH

DaveP

Reply to
Dave P