inner tubes

During an excellent days off roading yesterday I suffered a front puncture and the tyre came half off the rim. One of the guys who recovered me suggested that I put inner tubes in. Is it ok to put tubes in a tubeless wheel/tyre. The wheels are steel 8 spoke and the tyres wild cat m/t. Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I've got tubes in tubeless tyres/tubed rims (Rangie Rostyles) and the one problem I keep having is that the tubes pinhole around the circumference because the tyres are somewhat rough (Marshalls). If you don't mind the occasional slow then I suspect it's fine.

The one good thing I can think about this rig is that it lets you use a goo can for emergency repair without fscking a £90 tyre - I've met people who use the goo on first inflate with tubes and just leave it in.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

BFGs have a rib on the inside which I was told made them very unsuitable for tubes.

Reply to
hugh

Hi Richard,

Most tubeless tyres say specifically no tubes. I'm not sure why - could well be thath they are rougher inside.

Whilst at low speeds you are probably fine, at high speeds you could find a puncture more likely, and tubes tend to blowout more easily than tubeless. You could find yourself in trouble with the law or your insurance company if you go against the tyre manufacturers recommendations.

Here in Zimbabwe, I did run my Discovery like this for a while, but I was nervous of the effect of a high speed blowout, so I got new tyres as soon as I could.

Cheers! Graham Carter.

Reply to
Graham Carter

I'm running Bronco 'Grizzly Claws' the original LR rims. I had mine fitted at Bronco. The guy there said it was an advantage to use tubes with the rims I had due to problems with sealing around the edge of the rim. He also said at low, off-road speeds it would enable me to use lower tyre pressures more successfully.

Stew.

Reply to
90ninety

I have four new tyres put on my rangie but they had problems with a valve on one tyre so they(ATS) put a tube in it for me and they said its fine, they are normally jobs worth down there so it must be ok I haven't had any problems yet

Reply to
Brendan

I have four new tyres put on my rangie but they had problems with a valve on one tyre so they(ATS) put a tube in it for me and they said its fine, they are normally jobs worth down there so it must be ok I haven't had any problems yet

Reply to
Brendan

I have four new tyres put on my rangie but they had problems with a valve on one tyre so they(ATS) put a tube in it for me and they said its fine, they are normally jobs worth down there so it must be ok I haven't had any problems yet

Reply to
Brendan

Thanks all for your replies, not sure what to do. The tyres are WildCat EXT from John Craddock. I only use them for off road so most of the use is slow speed stuff. When using the 90 on road I swap the wheels over to BFG All Terrain T/A's. Richard

Reply to
Richard

In news:439492de$3 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com, Brendan blithered:

Nasty stutter you got there Brendan!

Reply to
GbH

One thing that you must look out for is the metallised sticky labels on the inside of BFG tyres - others may use them , too. If these labels are not fully removed a wee hole in your tube is absolutely guaranteed in a relatively short time.

Otherwise I've not found it to be an issue, just the usual trouble with the occasional pin prick from dirt trapped between the tube and the tyre. Could this be your problem, too?

Reply to
Dougal

I've run about four sets of BFGs with tubes - no problem.

Reply to
Dougal

hi richard. i run tubes in mine, i have the rangie rostyle rims which wont take tubeless tyres on theyre own anyway but i do fit tubeless tyres and inner tubes on them , have been doing so for the last 20yrs at least .

they work ok but after a few months of driving on them youll probably get punctures in each wheel one after the other . its something ive come to live with but if you buy a handfull of tubes and keep them handy somewhere you only need to take wheel and a new tube to a tyre fitter and job is done for another few months .

it usually starts out as a slow puncture when the tube gets pinholed .

i have not found a tyre yet for mine that doesnt have the diagonal ribs inside it , these are what rub against the tube and pinhole it .

i use remoulds a lot , ie kingpin mudtracker and colway c trax MT , these are ok with tubes inside but still have the ribs inside the tyres .

the real problem lies in the cheap thin tubes you now buy , there arent any decent thick tubes about now, it all seems to be made in far east and the quality just isnt there anymore , hence why they chafe easily ..

most agricultural people hold stocks of 7.50-16 tubes , which are what i use .

there are anti puncture products you can buy which you put into the tyre/tube before you pump it up .

you can get tubeless tyres repaired you know , find a tyre repairer , there is one just down the road from me and will repair almost anything so long as wires arent cut in it ., he even does high performance tyre repairs . i live between swindon and oxford .

Reply to
m0bcg

The reason I was given is that they cannot properly dissipate heat in tubeless tyres, I cannot see why as the construction looks similar so flexing will not be a lot different.

This is right, an under inflated tubeless will pull off the rim and let out all the remaining air on a steep downhill turn. OTOH it's cheap enough to clean and put back on.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I've just had a chat to the technical people at one of our tyre suppliers. They have no issues with tubes being used in tubeless tyres, and it is in fact necessary if you run a tubeless tyre on a rim that is not designed to take a tubeless tyre.

Their concern is with the fitting of a tube to a punctured tubeless tyre without repairing the hole - this allows water into the tyre where it can damade the steel cords. So long as the hole is repaired properly (ie as you would if continuing to use the tyre tubeless) there is no problem with running tubes. There is also a (irrelevant to Landrover owners) concern that the speed rating of high performance tyres drops when fitted with a tube due to excessive heat build up, but this is only an issue at tyres rated for >200kph.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:32:01 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

That sounds altogether more credible.

Bought Avons for the disco, and they say "tubeless", but then they also say "on tube-type rim, use inner tube" (duh..)

I thought originally the thing about "tubeless" tyres was that when they first appeared, you have to have a tubeless tyre to fit it tubeless - tube-type tyres don't have the appropriate rubber lip on the inner edge to seal onto the rim reliably.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

I'm confused :(

Reply to
hugh

Hi Richard,

I believe tubes in tubeless tires are ok as long as you do not deflate your tires because of ground circumstances. I used tubes in tubeless for the last

20.000 km without any problems. However I will have the tubes removed now because I will travel into the Namib desert which involves tyre deflating.

Just my 2c

Uli

Reply to
Uli

"Uli" wrote

So why do Land Rover fit OEM tubeless tyre with inner tubes on steel wheels marked as such?

Alan Morris Td5 130

Reply to
Alan Morris

Well, I've just pressure washed the wheel and found out why the tyre went flat....the valve had got ripped out. The wheel is also scored around the lip where the valve goes. Next question......I've seen some off road vehicles with a little bit of steel tube welded around the valve, maybe worth doing?

Richard

Reply to
Richard