You win some...

Went to pick up the spare set of wheels for the SD1 (which I'd bought on Ebay) from near Gloucester today. I know carriage would have been cheaper, but I fancied an outing. Something was niggling at the back of my mind as I left London at 8 am, but I couldn't think what.

Had a super run there - nice weather most of the way and pretty light traffic. The directions from the seller were great, and I got there before

11, having stopped for breakfast and later, petrol. Found a rural garage with 4 star leaded. Which to my surprise, didn't seem as good as my usual Optimax.

Wheels were fine, and I came back the pretty way as recommended by the seller. Nice countryside and entertaining roads.

The speedo worked all the way, so the trip computer also. Overall fuel consumption 28, including some rather illegal speeds. Just keeping up with the Sprinters...

And the niggle? Forgot to put a daily resident's parking pass on the other car. 40 quid fine, thank you Mr traffic warden. So my wheels actually cost about 3 times the purchase price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

One day people will see common sense and abandon London in droves. OK they may earn less but they'll have less to fork out.

Reply to
Conor

Unfortunately in my line of work, London is the place to be. But I actually like living here. And plenty of other cities have charged for resident's parking.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I can get you an appointment with a good psychologist.

Reply to
Steve Firth

And i've lived in a small town with less than 50000 people all my life and hate it .... even though i'm on the outskirts and get to see the countryside (read: field with tree in distance).

Reply to
FEo2 Welder

Ah. Sort of puts an end to that then.

I was right. You ARE mad. :-)

Who said anything about a city? Man, you couldn't pay me enough to live in an overcrowded urban cesspit.

Reply to
Conor

Heh heh. You don't have the smells of the countryside, then, with farmers spreading pig muck everywhere? Personally, I prefer the smell of the Northern Line...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Oh, come on Dave. You don't notice it after the first few weeks - bit like all those exhaust fumes really. . .

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R.N. Robinson

Nah, just breathe deep - the air is full of vitamins. :-)

Reply to
Dave Gunter