Latest threads in Classic Cars - UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Q about Triumph Spitfire Tacho
I'm in the process of fixing a few things in my '78 Spitfire and I'm having problems removing the tachometer. The question is: how do you remove the last of the 3 cables plugged behind the tacho, as...
3
3

Vinyl roof supplier
A pal of mine has a Daimler Dart (SP250) with a rather scruffy hard top. He's been wondering what to do with it, and is now thinking of a vinyl covering. OK, it's dangerously reminiscent of spivvy...
39
39

Jim's Problem Minor
I was giving this some thought on a long drive (Dumfries to Wensleydale and back) and here's what I came up with ... To run, a nice simple old engine like the Minor's needs ... a) Compression b) Fuel...
4
4

rebuild 'contract'
I've spent some time trying to source a 'new' classic and decided that all those available are of too low a standard for what I'm after, so I'm commissioning someone to build me one from scratch. Been...
19
19

New car, new problem
Sorry, deleted original thread about the Minor cutting out or not starting when warm. My money is on the petrol filler cap. Had exactly the same problem years ago. Blamed the fuel pump initially, as...
4
4

finishing paintwork with clear coat
At some time in the past my classic has been resprayed and finished with a clear lacquer coat. I have no experience working with this. There are numerous small scratches, mostly only through the...
3
3

Advice on battery acid
Hi, I have just bought two! new dry batteries for my MGA and some bottles of acid. Can anyone suggest what precautions I should take. My wife shall be getting nitrile gloves for me and I shall at last...
11
11

Keeping the water out... leak sealer ??
HI All Does anybody know if there's a leak-sealing product that can be used on older cars to keep the rain _outside- rather than letting it find its way _inside_ ?? My '64 Morris Traveller has one or...
5
5

Painting garage floor.
I'm in the process of building a wood garage for my 1948 Vauxhall 14 and had the raft power floated to get a nice smooth surface. I intend doing the floor with floor paint but after googling "Floor...
6
6

Hunting engine
Since my wifes 1985 escort was motted ,it has been sick. I suspect they have damaged the carb mixture screw as the co analyser readout is extremely low . The engine revs go up and down every second...
3
3

can anyone with a green hc viva help
a mate at work is renewing his vows in march next year on their 25th wedding anniversary. as a surprise after the ceromony in the church he thought it would be nice to have a car that they had then....
1
1

Cleaning seat belts
Folks, I have some Britax seat belts for my Herald. They are in generally very good condition but a bit spotted with mould. Anyone know a good way to clean them? Light grey/silvery sort of colour. Ian
5
5

Old handbooks etc
Apolgies for coming to this group for the first time and using it as a freeads site, but I think I'll find the right sort of people here! I have the following books to offer: an owners manual in...

Another car, another problem
I have just taken possession of a Minor 1000. It started first time and I drove home (about 10 miles) with no problems at all. I switched off the engine to use the keys to lock the boot, then started...
69
69

BMC part no. beginning with 24G
Can anybody tell me what BMC model had parts numbers beginning with 24G? I have a chrome door sill kick strip I would like to identify - whole number is 24G3754. TIA
22
22