Vinyl roof for SP250

Been away, just catching up, managed to lose all messages. Therefore going from memory. I hate Bill Gates.

As I recall the OP (or his local trimmer) was worried about fitting to compound curves Some years ago I helped a friend with a rolling restoration; high on the list was replacing the fabric roof simply to keep the rain out - it could be done properly a couple of years later once the oily bits were sorted. We used vinyl of some sort; the trick was to use a hot air gun (B&Q) which softened trhe vinyl to about the consistency of well-rolled putty/placticene. Worked a treat. Used the same technique years later on a Riley RM-something.

GMacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

I think that would work fine on small area of compound curvature, but I don't think it would work on the hardtop because side are quite deep. Imagine trying to smooth a flat sheet over a typical hardtop, and think of the tuck you'd need somewhere near the C pillar.

I think the pre-tailored ones are hot-air-gunned into place, though, once those major bits are dealt with.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Ian

Reply to
Ian