'67 wide rear wheel wells an option? pls pic me - blk.

I was at a Corvette show at the Golden Mile parking lot at Pharmacy and Eglinton in Toronto. It must have been around 2000. I saw a black C2 vette. Must have been a '67 if I remember correctly. The question I have is about the rear wheel well flares. Normally that car had no noticeable hips, there may be profile, even a minor flowing ridge. The car I saw had nice hips - wide rear wheel well extensions. Not only was it the right year. I think: (not the split window), 4 wheel disks, prob get a huge motor, could have a carb if wanted, best general body style ever - it had rear wheel well flares. I stumbled across a site somewhere that had something about this being an option around these year. I have never seen another one like it, either in person, or even a picture. Does anyone have a clue what I am talking about? If you have a link to a pic pls share, even if it is not black (which would be a real shame).

Reply to
bent

Not an option for the mid years, only aftermarket.

One of your neighbors did it to his '67, and he did it right, the third picture is from a cruse we went on. The yellow Corvette on the right is Six-Shooter that works for GM at BG some times and the red C5 on the left is my neighbor Bossvette. 502 CID and many septic sucking Rothchild horses.

Reply to
Dad

I believe the wheel flares you saw were the ones that were available from GM to use for SCCA racing. The horizontal line of the body is still there but it SWELLS the fender out for wide tires and rims. If I remember corectly they were called ZL-1 fenders.

PDeen

messagenews:1166654092 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net...>I was at a Corvette show at the Golden Mile parking lot at Pharmacy and

Reply to
PDDeen

Not an option.

Some are making wider rear fenders for the C2 midyears. This started a few years back as part of vintage racing, where big buck weekend racers were upset their big $$ midyears had smaller tires than the C3 Corvettes and were slower on the track. SCCA in 1972 had equalized that with fender flares, but vintage places like SVRA insist on stock fenders.

So enterprising (cheating) vintage racers developed wider fenders that looked stock to the inspectors but gave them an extra inch or two and didn't look like a flare.

Technically, this complies with the 1972 SCCA rules, however, most flares do, but the vintage groups don't want the flares.

Strange thing is that everyone knows about them now, yet they still get allowed.

Vintage racing, it is all about the dollars.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

So, well the best motor ever 560hp L-88 was an option for the best body ever, '67, but whats this about two (2) ZL-1 motor options built. Is that even more sought after than the 1/4 mil L-88? Forgot, and I just read it, this ZL-1 motor was an L-88, with an amulinum something or other?

Reply to
bent

ya, I know there was a ZR-1 with OH cams, can I get that in a black '67 with wide rear wells, and oh ya, can you mid-mount it for me?

Reply to
bent