'71 clutch shake.. help!

I have a '71 Stingray with LS-5 (454) motor and M-21 transmission. When driving around, the clutch pedal vibrates. Also, when the clutch is pushed in, no shake. At friction point there's vibration. When I have the tranny rebuilt, the shop said it was probably just fingerprint on the flywheel or something and that it'll go away. It hasnt gone away.... any ideas? It doesnt seem like excessive vibration from the motor while idling....

Thanks!

Reply to
js

Did the shop replace or inspect the clutch when they rebuilt the tranny? Did the problem start immediately after they worked on it? Or before they worked on it?

It sounds like the clutch may be wearing out, or they managed to soak the clutch plate with tranny lube or used too much lube on the pilot bearing when they were removing/replacing the tranny (which got forced out onto the pressure plate), or the pilot bearing was damaged in the R&R process.

Reply to
WayneC

Or, if the bellhousing is not original to the engine, it needs to be dialed in.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Had a 67 GTO one time with a similar problem and it was because I used a "rebuilt" cluth/pressure plate. Once I installed a "NEW" one, the problem went away. Good Luck

Reply to
RobMStevens

If it is a new or rebuilt clutch, the odds of it being out of balance are very good. Contrary to popular believe, they don't balance these assemblies worth dog doo. If it vibrates at certain speeds worse than others and it increases with speed, then take the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disk out and have a good machine shop balance the assembly.

Grease will only make them chatter when engaging unless there is so much, it won't engage and is slipping. One way to check slipping is to get it in as high of gear as possible, drive about 2000 RPM or less, and then floor it. If the tach soars up and the speedo is not anywhere close to matching, your clutch is slipping.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri