Desperate for Trans help - 93 240SX

1993 240SX with 5 speed. Had my trans "rebuilt" about 4 months ago since I was having issues shifting. Since then, I've had a vibration/rattling problem that they can't seem to get fixed. Sounds strange..but when I'm sitting at a light with my foot off the clutch, there's a rattling noise coming from the front of the transmission. Push down on the clutch and it goes away. The rattling gets louder as the car heats up...you can't hear it for the first 15 minutes or so of driving. Also, turn the headlights off or step off the brake, the rattling dies down a bit (almost like the car is idling faster without the lights on so the rattle goes away). I know it sounds strange but I've been dealing with it for 4 months and those are the symptoms. The transmission place has had my car for 6 weeks over the last 4 months "fixing" it and everytime I get it back, the car heats up and the problem is still there. Anyone have a clue what I can tell these guys to look at?
Reply to
The other Mike

Without hearing it, I'd guess the main input bearing is shot. Was this a trans shop? If you've taken it three or more times, consider having it fixed elsewhere and suing them in small claims court for the cost of the repair. I suspect they don't know what they're doing and hopeing you get tired of bringing in and go away.

-jim

Reply to
JimV

Clutch release bearing or sleeve it fits on, needs fitting correctly with spring clip to lever, greasing on both bearing and inside sleeve where it slides on guide tube, or replacing if the bearing has run without grease. Or clutch lever support post/pivot has broken allowing the lever arm to rattle (replace post).

Reply to
Peter Hill