99 C5 - cracked chrome/wheel

(Delurking)

Was out on the road at Xmas & picked up either a cracked R/R wheel - or just chrome surface crack. Dealer says wheel serial #'s tie to the VIN & the current wheels were on the vehicle, when it left the factory. BUT the wheels were NOT chrome at that time & they are now - i.e. aftermarket chrome job by previous owner (I'm second owner). I'm also told GM don't do a chrome wheel in my size & the dealer wanted to put on an aluminum wheel & charge $600 - I said no.

So, the crack is near the hub on one spoke (5-spoke wheels) and goes right round the chrome surface. But from the feel of it, does NOT go all the way through. So, it could just be a poor aftermarket chrome defect......or it could be a crack in the wheel itself, that might fail at speed.

Q. Do I spend a bunch on a new set of matching rims, is there any way of telling definitively if it's just a surface blemish & does anyone know of a place that is easier on the $$$$, selling new rims in Arizona ?

Hope someone can help..............THX.

Reply to
Rufio

See if you find someone who can use modern NDT technology on the rim - I think an eddy current inspection would reveal the depth of the crack. So might an X-ray.

Even if the crack is superficial - just in a layer of chromium - you still have an issue with moisture or whatever getting trapped in it and causing various sorts of corrosion of the underlying metals. I think the rim should be replated or the crack somehow filled. (Of course if you noticed the crack then the fill will glare at you....)

Reply to
Vandervecken

If you bawked at the 600$ replacement , why would you consider a whole new set?. Sand down the crack to see what your working with. for peace of mind mostly.If wheel is cracked. remove it.If its just the chrome, live with it or paint it or replate it

Reply to
RS

Mine is peeling where the lug nut covers are. I see there's hex nuts there as if it can be removed and replaced. BTW they are stock '98 wheels.

Reply to
Steve Horrillo

Here's the GM bulletin on the subject. Probably written by the legal department but it does have some general guidance.

Reply to
PJ

Thanks for the bulletin. I've printed it off & might just take it along to a different Chevrolet dealer, here in Phoenix.

As for balking at $600 - it's a value for money question, rather than total cost - I don't have a problem paying $2000-$2500 for 4 new (wider) rims & F1's. But I did have a problem paying $600 for 1 mismatched rim.

Anyway, driving home tonight, I was slicing through traffic, when I found myself in the presence of royalty - a Lamborghini Murcielago. I have to say I went weak at the knees, listening to that V-12. But it only goes to show - the more expensive a car is, the less likely the driver is to drive it FAST (my last ticket was 93mph in a 40 limit, which I was fortunate to get wiped off with traffic school) - I tend to drive less than 25 mph over the limit most of the time now.

Q. I really like the balance that I get from 245's on the front & 275's on the rear - what can I get (wider) with the same sort of balance - would

315's & 275's balance & would they fit (on wider rims) with no modifications to my 99 C5 ?

THX.

Reply to
Rufio