C5 key cylinder failures?

Hey, guys.

This is my second C5, I've had both an 03 and an 04 (think I got that right, 04 being the last of the C5s if I recall). Twice now, the key has failed to turn in the ignition, and after doing the service dance the cause was a faulty key cylinder. Basically they described it as the lock internal components falling out of place in the cylinder. Both times the cylinder has been replaced, and after the first go round I've been extremely careful in how I remove and insert the key.

Two failures of the same part in a given model makes me wonder whether this is a common problem or if the Corvette Deities are just trying to give me some sort of subtle metaphysical message. So, I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced this particular delight with their C5.

And of course, if it's the metaphysical message thing, just let me know which temple I should be praying to. In my experience, one can never appease too many deities...

Reply to
Christopher

Being just shy of 250,000 C5s that were produced it would hardly be fair to make it a common problem with 2 failures even if it was in just one of them. It reminds me of the old story of the car that always ran poorly when she drove it but was fine when he drove it, only because she pulled the choke out to hang her purse on the knob.

It is just as possible that there were reoccurring failures as there is that you may be causing the failure. The 2 C5s I had experienced one failure each, a BCM died and a left axel seal leaked, not hardly a common problem with either. Since both are not affected by my actions it would be hard to say it was anything other than a parts failure.

Are you tall and may be bumping the dash mounted key? Do your keys get dirty or wet? Are your trips short and with frequent key removal and replacement? Are you the only driver and know how the key is used? Is there undue resistance when you turn the key? Do you over turn the key to get the switch to activate the starting sequence? Did the service people make sure the timing was correct with the switches so you don't have to max out the mechanism to get it to activate or shut off?

Interesting problem and in this case one you to which you may never find an answer.

Reply to
Dad

I know what you mean about odds & 250k cars produced. My curiousity as to whether this was a common problem was due to the fact that I've had two failures with the same vehicle, which strikes me as at least mildly curious.

Since I'm the only driver and don't have any of the exceptional circumstances you mentioned (and have been especially careful and aware of the key cylinder since the first failure), I thought it might be something that others encountered with the 04 C5s as well - particularly since I was also the only driver for my 03 and my habits haven't changed. It never had this problem.

Oh, well, probably just one of those fluke of the universe things. Certainly doesn't take the fun out of the driving experience, that's for sure!

Reply to
Christopher

Some guys are more hung than others. How much hangerh on thy key ring? Church key & pen knife?

Reply to
PJ

You may have hit on something there PJ, when they took the mega key turning devise off the steering column I'm sure they made is as light as possible.

Not an issue on the C6, the only thing hanging on there now is DNA.

Reply to
Dad

"Christopher" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

the aftermarket replacements are sometimes pronged to fail. (poor quality) even new ones fail from time to time. (not sure who is manufacturing them for GM these days) I have seen it in many in the GM's. wouldn't think any different for vettes.

tip: it may help, if you do not have too much weight on your key-ring....

stop worrying and go for a ride :-)

Reply to
'Key

As a product of the 60s & 70s, I was always admonished to hang loose. Standard dongle, couple of extra keys, in general a light load. Not so much out of courtesy to the key cylinder but because too many hangers on tend to poke the leg in snug fitting jeans.

Reply to
Christopher

Now if I could just get my C5 to pay better attention when I use the force...

Reply to
Christopher

Always good advice!

Reply to
Christopher

No problems with the cylinder failing but did have a BAD key that kept giving me the service column lock message and the remove key and wait 10 seconds. My dealer's Service Manager suspected the key and ordered a new one. The new key works perfect and I have not seen an error message since it was replaced.

If you suspect a column lock or anything weird starts happening I suggest you try your spare key. Cleaning the defective key was a waste of time and effort.

Reply to
aRKay