hole in the road

put the pics up online, big size, sorry, i didnt have any resize software

the depth from the lowest surface to the top surface is 2inch with a angled bit inbetween

comments welcome, and i hit the hole in darkness so you couldnt see it coming as i alinged my wheels to miss the holes just before!

Reply to
Jules

If hitting a little pothole like that can do that to your wheels I'm glad I haven't got such low profile tyres!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Don't even think about grumbling to the council...

I tried.. and the hole I went down was considerably deeper and unlit.

:-(

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Jules Re post this in the uk.legal group. I am sure some people in that group will know or have had a go at a local council in the past.

Reply to
PhilÅ

I can recommend Irfanview

- it comes in two parts - the main program, and plugins to let it handle pretty much any other file format excluding Autocad !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

IANAL etc, but given the extensive patching that has already been done to the road in that area, the council might have trouble escaping liability - they already knew there was a problem.

I can count at least 5 distinct "patches" already done, with several more overdue...

You may be able to get them to give you a breakdown of when the other patches were done, if not willingly, under a FOIA request.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Did you have your headlights on? That hole looks pretty difficult to miss. (c:

Bad news about the wheel, it looks like an expensive one, it also looks like a lot of damage to be caused by a relatively insignificant hole.

How was the other wheel/tyre that presumably followed the same path through the hole?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I really can't see how that road caused that kind of damage, unless siad wheels are copies made of cheese.

Reply to
SteveH

Well my first thought was that the tyre was flat, or at least soft when the car hit the hole.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The message from "Tim Downie" contains these words:

Just what I was thinking. I don't think it's reasonable to expect the ratepayers to fund the consequences of your style choices. There are reasons why cars don't leave the factory looking like that - and this is one of them.

Reply to
Guy King

One of them looked like a "jolt" to me, the other one looked like a much "harder" angle to hit.

I think the OP could also argue that a road surface in this condition could cause an accident through momentary loss of control by virtue of the jolt due to the surface deterioration.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Soft on the first one, flat by the second causing the rim damage?

Reply to
Warwick

2 inch deep is bad, it happend to be wide enough so the whole width of the tyre fitted in not just part of it.
Reply to
Jules

You have to provide evidence to show that:

1) The pothole specified is capable of producing such a damage; and 2) The wheel had no such dent before the alleged run over.

The council would argue that the sharp ridge of ?2" drop is running parallel to the mid-line (and very close alongside with it), the rest is of a much more gradual gradient. Unless a car is at speed, say above 50 mph, and running across the mid-line (not parallel to it), there is little impact on the wheels. The other wheel on the same side has no damage, I gather. Again, is there any departure from the designed working parameter of the wheel-road geometry? Any misaligned toe-in/-out, track, camber, or castor angle? Or, indeed, the suspension itself? These should come before the localised, focused damage of a bent-out-of-true of the inside rim of one wheel.

Jules, I sympathise with you, and you must make a complaint, but in this case you'll be presenting a not very convincing case to the council.

Reply to
Lin Chung

thanks, IIRC correctly the councils have to say they have been informed about any dangerous holes, BUT infront of the fotos is many more bit not as deep which have been marked out in yellow paint BUT very faded so done some time ago.

Reply to
Jules

many thanks, i will use it (had it before, but forgot the name!)

Reply to
Jules

thanks, at least 8 metres out of sight and infront(which i was avoiding) where many more patched up holes with yollow paint around. As i hadnt driven for 6 months i forgot how bad this road was.

Reply to
Jules

as i said before, i was missing the ones just ahead so that put me dead inline with the ones i hit...while taking fotos earlier i noticed people had to drive over the otherside of the white line in the middle to miss them all...

2inch insignificant?

its down a very steep road at the bottom of a dip, so if anyone going down on a pushbike at speed etc would come off, maybe even a biker (im not a biker)

the read had the damage, the front seems ok but i need to get the tracking checked but i only felt one bang, not 2 so i guess the front wheel didnt go down it

Reply to
Jules

it wasnt nice, although it didnt pull the wheel to one side, like i have known before.

Reply to
Jules

I only remember one bang, not 2, and i only got the car before and i checked all tyre pressues and condition when i got the car.

Reply to
Jules