C5 Shift Knob

Decided to go with a different shift knob for my 6 speed C5 and it came in today. I just tried pulling the key under the shift pattern and it would not budge. What's the trick in removing it and the knob. From what I recall reading in my friends manual once that key is removed the know will thread right off.

Reply to
JG

Bob I

Thanks Bob....Another site added to my Vette Favorites Folder.

Reply to
JG

Reply to
Bob I

I had to put a little PB Blaster on mine to free it. This stuff is great, but stinky. Put a few drops on it, wait maybe five minutes and you can pull it out with vise grips or similar.

Reply to
Keith

I had to put a little PB Blaster on mine to free it. This stuff is great, but stinky. Put a few drops on it, wait maybe five minutes and you can pull it out with vise grips or similar.

Reply to
Keith

I was getting ready to break out my can of PB Blaster after I broke one corner of the key off while prying. Since I saw that it had moved up slightly I got some vise grips on it and tugged and wiggle and it came out.

I'm not too impressed with the bushing kit that came with the new knob. I bought the kit from Mid America. You would think they would have the correct diameter bushing for the stock C5 shifter. They have one that will not go on all the way (putting the knob up too high) and one that is way too loose. I ended up using this one, after I increased the diameter of the shifter with some good ole duck tape. It seems to be fine now but I'm afraid it may loosen up in the summer heat here in Las Vegas. I may end up using the one that doesn't go on all the way and use my dremel to eliminate the tapered inside diameter. At least I think that's why it doesn't go down all the way. I do like the feel of this new knob compared to the factory one. I got the one that has the carbon fiber top with the leather wrap below the CF. Ecklers had one too but does not have the C5 logo on it. I wonder if its mounting system is any better?

Reply to
JG

I know this doesnt help you, but it's a good story. I took advantage of the opportunity to be with my vette as it was built, walked with it more than half way through (last half) of the build. When I got to the part where the guy was about to slam the "demon key" into the shift knob, I asked him to gently tap it in as I already had my new one at home.

That made the process real easy after delivery!

Bob

"JG" wrote:

Reply to
Yahoo

When I saw the marks on the head of the key I knew this would not be as easy as it would seem.

I took the car out for a ride for the first time since I installed it. I definitely like the feel. However it does appear to be sitting a little higher than the stock one. And I'm using the larger bushing that that is sitting down al the way. I guess its time to look for a shorter shifter :-)

Reply to
JG