Ford Ranger shift knob removal

I have a 2005 Ranger and this morning I was looking at how to remove the 5 speed shift knob, but was not able to figure it out. I want to add a cue ball like I have on my Mustang.

Reply to
Martin

Turn it counter clockwise. It should screw off.

Reply to
Mike H

OK will try that again, I just did not want to force it yesterday.

Reply to
Martin

No luck last night. Both my Brother and I could not get it to move.

Reply to
Martin

Well, you may want to check around and make sure the thread size and pitch is the same before going too far to get it off. If I recall correctly, getting one made for a mustang to fit on something else isn't always automatic.

Those are often put on at the factory with a loc-tite type product. Is there any sign of flats to get a wrench on?

Reply to
Mike H

Did not see a spot to put a wrench on. Had a buddy look at it today and he is very good with fixing his own cars and well as the heavy equiptment he operates and he was stumped. Was not going to use the same one that my Hurst shifter in my Mustang has. But do want a cue ball type.

Reply to
Martin

Grab it as tightly as you can and pull straight up -- it's not screwed on -- the end of the gear shift stick has grooves cut into it -- there's a metal insert in the knob with matching grooves -- just pull it straight up and off.

Cursing may help.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

Reply to