Does anyone take up two parking spaces at a parking lot ?

"tactful" In most peoples minds is everyone (no matter how special they think they or their car is) parking it in ONE spot.

You might think you and your car are special, many more people think your gluttonous parking habits are rude, selfish and shouldn't go unnoted, weather that be commenting directly to you, or damaging your precious car or whatever.

You asked if anyone takes up two parking spaces, the OVERWHELMING consensuses is, taking up two spots is rude, selfish and inappropriate, and that was here in the corvette group. You are free to behave that way, although now you can't do it in ignorance. Nor can you be surprised if some dolt damages your car because of your arrogant behavior.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Short answer -- Yes!

Last evening was one of intellectual enrichment. I glanced across the restaurant parking lot and noted that someone in a nicely painted truck had straddled two parking places. (Thought: Ah ha, Dave bought a truck -- wrong!) My bride pointed out that the truck had a handicapped plate and that all the handicap slots were taken. She then "explained" that the Calif. Vehicle Code provides for straddling two places when ...etc., etc. ...

I love these little "learning" sessions!

So, Dave -- see your doc, name your ailment and go for it.

Another option: In my younger years, an uncle used to take me down to Cicero for recreational pursuits. He always hired a street bum to "watch" his car. Change your eateries from the "corner diner" to something in South Chicago.

I'm outta this thread!

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe

Reply to
PJ

I think you need to say what you really think and not choke it back to this kind of woosie answer. Then again anyone that would be naive enough to be serious about asking a question like this most likely won't understand a plain answer, as has been seen on the replies so far.

I always park by the cart return stalls, nobody goes near them.

I'm with PJ, this tread is a dead end...........

Reply to
Dad

key word was "usually". didn't say cars never park there.

also didn't insinuate anything about being special.

Reply to
'Key

Dad :'Then again anyone that would be naive enough to be serious about asking a question like this most likely won't understand a plain answer, as has been seen on the replies so far.'

REPLY: I sense by the sarcasm that you still havent forgiven me Dad . So again, I hereby apologize for any offense toward yourself or your kinfolk in the past .

Reply to
dave

PJ wrote: So, Dave -- see your doc, name your ailment and go for it.

Can't ya just see him: "Doc. I have a severe mental defect that prevents me from ever acting like a normal intelligent human being and need a handicapped sticker"

Randy

Reply to
Randy

There are so many comments, I don't know where to begin.

Yes, Dave, I occasionally take up two spaces. Try parking a 23 ft long truck in an 18 ft long space and see what happens. Try it when you get a parking lot made for compacts, i.e., 7 ft wide spaces instead of $8 ft, because some smart architect discovered he could add 20 extra spaces in the same lot. Also when they decide to use a 10 ft aisle instead of a 15, because again, they can add more spaces in the same lot.

Show up with a trailer. You will have to take two spaces, or more. A 24 ft enclosed trailer is no way going to fit with tow vehicle in two spaces end to end, so you end up out at the far edge taking about 4 spaces side by side. Or occasionally you can take two end to end plus an aisle.

But as everyone has said, you put a Vette in two spaces, and no one will like you. It is rude, self-centered, and illegal in some places.

Take your tin car instead. If you hadn't voted for mandatory insurance back in 1985 in Illinois, you would afford to own a beater that you could license for $48 a year and use it for only going to the mall once every few weeks. Even insuring it, pre-mandatory insurance would have cost you about $60 for a 15 year old beater. Post-mandatory insurance has driven that up to about $400.

Or you could buy a bunch of touch up paint for the Vette.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

'Take your tin car instead. '

REPLY: Ive already decided to do exactly that ; its just a shame that people arent careful when you park something like a new Corvette in a single space. But thats the way the world has gone now isnt it ?

Reply to
dave

The fact that you believe you have a right to take two spots absolutely insinuates that you think you're special.

Second, you're trying to rationalize that it's OK since "no cars usually parked there". You're arguing in circles. If cars don't park there, then you don't need two spots. If cars do park there, your rationalization for taking two spots goes up in smoke.

Reply to
larrybud2002

you don't know me and you actually don't know what I believe.

Reply to
'Key

What's the logic in taking 2 spots far away from the store if there aren't any cars around there? And then regardless of the parking stripes, someone can do the same thing and park next to you.

I once had a metallic red car that I parked far away but within the stripes and would you believe I had a guy park "real" close to me that made it difficult for me to get into my car? It was funny because when you saw where I parked, it was sorta in the boonies relative to the store front and yet here were two cars side by side. Of course even worst (if taking up two spots) is attracting too much attention which in today's world seems to be bad attention which may translate into keying. You get the idea.

And then further, there is the thought that if you worry that much about the car, how can you really enjoy it? Of course this is up to the individual so I don't mean to criticize on this point. I have this problem too which is why I hate to buy new cars regardless what they are. Yeah, I buy them but unlike most people, don't enjoy it that much.

Reply to
rob

Yes it is ashame. People don't seem to nowadays respect each other's property or each other's lives.

You know, it just crossed my mind, if we are getting fatter as a society, our car doors will have to open more inorder to get us out and that means more chance of a ding on the parked car beside us unless they widen the parking stripes. Perhaps this is more reason not to park your Corvette in any parking spot???

Reply to
rob

I know what you've said, and it's clear what you believe.

Reply to
Larry Bud

'What's the logic in taking 2 spots far away from the store if there aren't any cars around there? And then regardless of the parking stripes, someone can do the same thing and park next to you.'

REPLY: Ill answer this question,even though ive decided NOT to take a double parking spot and will most likely take my tin car if i have to park for a long time. The rationale is simple : You pay alot of hard earned money for a brand new Corvette and you dont want anyone parking next to you because of the increased could-care-less people out there who would open their door(s) onto your car. I repeat ...i have decided NOT to double park with my new Vette.

'And then further, there is the thought that if you worry that much about the car, how can you really enjoy it? '

REPLY: I can enjoy the car immensely but i dont take pleasure in having dings on it within a few months. I repeat...i have decided NOT to double park with my new vette .

Reply to
dave

'You know, it just crossed my mind, if we are getting fatter as a society, our car doors will have to open more inorder to get us out and that means more chance of a ding on the parked car beside us unless they widen the parking stripes. Perhaps this is more reason not to park your Corvette in any parking spot??? '

REPLY: True. Thats why i always park parallel to the curb whenever i can.

Reply to
dave

they should just make all car doors open upward :-)

Reply to
'Key

what I said can be taken two ways. I guess you also you don't know me and don't know what I believe.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

'they should just make all car doors open upward :-)

Reply to
dave

'what I said can be taken two ways. I guess you also you don't know me and don't know what I believe. my2=A2

Reply to
dave

"dave" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3238.bay.webtv.net... 'what I said can be taken two ways. I guess you also you don't know me and don't know what I believe. my2¢

Reply to