How long have you owned your current Corvette?

Dave:

Lots. But no where near as much as the original owner. ;-)

Tom

Reply to
Crabs

Bob:

So far, haven't needed any. There's only one thing I need to take care of and that is a noisy throw out bearing. I suspect that it's dried out from just not enough use over the last 15 years. You can still order (some) parts from the local Chevy dealer, there's plenty of resources on the web, and also occasional interesting items on eBay. As far as the motor, it appears to be bullet proof if properly maintained. I've seen many ZR1's with bags of miles on them. Body parts seem to be more difficult to find, but if a guy is careful (and lucky) you won't need 'em.

TomC '90 ZR1

Reply to
Crabs
1975 Coupe - 4 Years 2002 Coupe - 2 Months

Reply to
Bill Gander

'Dave: Lots. But no where near as much as the original owner. ;-) Tom'

ME: Tom, Can u put that into U.S. Dollars ? Theres a motivated seller of a 1990 ZR1 for sale near me with 17,000 miles on it in excellent condition ; id like to compare prices. Thanks, Dave

Reply to
dave

Dave:

Nope. I will not disclose the purchase amount. I bought the car from a childhood friend who shall we say is far more fortunate than most.

Offer what you can comfortably afford. If it's not enough, oh well. Just remember, the people who bought these from the dealer paid AT LEAST $65,000 USD, 15 years ago. If they had put that money as a down payment on a house, it would probably be worth 4 or 5 times as much today. It was not a wise investment. Perhaps in a few more years they will increase in value, as the big block C3's have, but until they do, it will be a sore point for the original owners.

TomC

Reply to
Crabs

What are some things to consider that are specific to '1990' ZR1's when examining the car ? Wasnt 1990 the first year for them ? The engine is a Lotus design, correct ? Did GM beef up the Trans to accomodate the additional engine power of the ZR1 ? When do u suppose they will turn around and start to appreciate ... when they are roughly 25 years old ? Which do u think it more collectable for an investment : a 1990 ZR1 or a

1990 Callaway ?

Thanks for the info

Dave

Reply to
dave

Dave:

1990 was the first year offered to the public. There were a few 1989 model year Corvettes with the LT5 engine installed for testing purposes. Most if not all were destroyed, and were never offered to the public. Lotus engineered the engine, Mercury Marine of Stillwater OK built them. The transmission is a ZF, made specially for the LT5. It was designed to handle the output of the engine with plenty of growing room to spare. There are people running stroked LT5's to 421 cubic inches producing 550+ HP who are still using the stock transmission and rear end. As far as turning the curve on appreciation, it may be some time. It's really difficult to say. There are so few ZR1's around, most people don't even know what they are. They have no idea that it was the fastest production street machine for it's time. It's taken 15 years for GM and Dodge to produce anything comparable. The Z06 Corvette and the Viper RT10. Collectable as an investment, hmmm... I'd guess a stock 1995 ZR1 with low miles. The Callaway TT's, Sledge Hammer and Snake Skinners were aftermarket packages by companies other than the manufacturer. Sure they are rarer, but they're aren't original.

TomC

Reply to
Crabs

Won my 92 LT-1 in well errr 1992, 45 K miles and only one service problem so far.

Mike T

Reply to
Mike T

I hate to break it to you, but Callaway was a GM option at one time that you ordered through the dealer. Not exactly an aftermarket system if you ordered one that way. The trick is finding an original Callaway ordered through GM.

Reply to
Charlie

Well W. looks like you're the WINNER at 28 years!

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

You know, even with the stock 454 setup and the auto/3.08 rear it was a very strong puller - (been apart for 13 years now so maybe my memory's a little kind but that's how I remember it). I really don't want to make any mods that will affect the stock appearance of the engine and I don't want to make the internals too radical that it's finicky and not comfortable to drive. Just wondering about tweaking compression a tad since I gotta replace the pistons anyway.

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Thanks Tom for the info and enlightenment. ZR1's are certainly interesting.

Dave

Reply to
dave

'Just wondering about tweaking compression a tad since I gotta replace the pistons anyway. Here's waving to ya - \|||| Owen'

ME: Id certainly bump up the Compression with piston replacements ; you may notice a little improvement on torque..but, it wont be neck-snapping.

Reply to
dave

Wait 'till you drive one. ;-)

TomC

Reply to
Crabs

Reply to
RicSeyler

And end up with LESS torque...... Bumping up compression will get him right into detonation, with the only remedy being backing off the static timing and the advance curve..... thus less torque. (unless someone wants to fuss with octane boosters every fill up)

IF he goes with alum>'Just wondering about tweaking compression a tad since I gotta replace

Reply to
RicSeyler

Reply to
RicSeyler

Reply to
RicSeyler

Yeah, they seem to hold there value.

Reply to
Charlie

Only had my '79 a little over a year, but I still have a couple of pieces of my '67 I bought in '74, does that count?

I still have the title to my '63 Chevy from 1970. Wish I had the car to go with it.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri