Opinion: '88 shock replacement

Hi,

My car now has 137,000 kms and I notice that it 'floats' a little. I suspect it's time to replace the shocks. My book says it's aneasy job. I don't have the z51 suspension package and my car came with 16" sawblades.

I don't use my car on a track or for autocross. I like the current ride which is very comfortable for a vette. I'd lile to retain the original '88 ride but get my hadling back.

Any suggestion on shocks? Brand, price point, etc..

As always.. TIA! :)

Reply to
C4RagTop

joevett

Thanks for the feedback. So do you have the gas shocks that you can pressurize yourself? I think the suspension was revised in '88. Anyone with an '88 or later have some positive feedback on shocks?

Cheers!

Reply to
C4RagTop

There are gas shocks that you can adjust but you can't add gas at your whim. There are air shocks that you can add air to till your heart's content. Both would be a waste of money if all you want is to retrieve your cars original ride quality. Monroe Sensa-Trac number 5939 for the rear and 5938 front, 2 each at about $50 each and you're good to go. You will not get all of the ride/handling back until you replace the ball joints, and suspension bushings but it will be close if yours are not to worn.

Be prepared to cut the front top shock bolts off to make your change a bit easier although the C4 has then out were they can be wrenched off as easy as any car I've every worked on.

Reply to
Dad