Problem with my 92

This probably has just popped up. When engine temp hits 200 degrees the engine shuts down. Something wrong with waterpump? Coil? I am lost.

Reply to
benf802961

robinrms

Assuming there are no codes, one thing that happens at higher temps is the fan turning on... Computer senses the coolant temp and turns on the fan(s).

The a/c also turns on the fans the same way

-- signal from the a/c to the computer which turns on the fans.

What happens when the a/c compressor kicks in?

Reply to
PJ

Nothing. Temp keeps going up until it hits 200 then engine shuts down. I guess I have to check ECM

Reply to
benf802961

Hmmm. I didn't ask the right question. Did the fan run?

Reply to
PJ

I think the auxiliary fan kicks in at 227 degrees. My money is still on the computer.

Reply to
robinrms

Just talk to the mechanic and he said both my fans are conking out. They work intermittantly. Going to have him replace both fans, put in a lower thermostat, and burn another chip for the thermostat.

Reply to
benf802961