Seized Park Brakes

I keep my vette in short term storage with the park brake set but this time when I went to drive it, after releasing the hand brake the rear drums would not release i.e. they are seized on. I tried to move the car but it would only move about half a foot with about 3 grand on the tacho (Auto gearbox). I removed the rear wheels and tapped the hubs with a hammer to see if I could loosen it but to no avail.

Any ideas on what I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
vette

When was the last time you replaced the brake fluid? It sounds more like the disk brakes act when the pistons rust in them. Why do you put the emergency brake on when you store it and how short is short term?

Reply to
Dad

I drove it on a rainy day and had it parked for 8 weeks because I had to wait for a new master cylinder to arrive as the old one was leaking through to the brake booster, when the new one arrived, I installed it and bled the brakes but now the park brake drums are seized on.

Dad wrote:

Reply to
vette

What year are we talking about, is it a drum as you say or is it newer with disk?

Reply to
Dad

It's a 1985 model.

Dad wrote: