Taking a new Vette for a 'test drive' at a Dealership

Just wondering if anyone here has ran into a problem doing so ? Do they try to qualify you as a bonified buyer first , or, are they pretty lax about it ? Maybe theyd be convinced if you pulled up in an older Vette you own (?) .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

L DaVinci

That always amazes me. How do they think people can buy a car without a testdrive? I ran into a similar problem when I was looking at a Cadillac CTS-V. They even had the doors locked in the showroom.

-Stan

Reply to
sbright

'That always amazes me. How do they think people can buy a car without a testdrive? I ran into a similar problem when I was looking at a Cadillac CTS-V. They even had the doors locked in the showroom.

-Stan'

REply: I think if i were to sell my 1970 BB Vette, id have to figure out a way to week out the 'TestDrivers' from the credible ones ; any thoughts on how to go about doing that (short of asking for a copy of thier W2) ??

Reply to
dave

If he gets there, spends two minutes looking, and says, "Let's go for a ride," he probably is just there for the ride. But if he looks it all over, looks underneath, checks under the hood and various things, and spends 15,

30, 45 minutes checking out the car before anything is said about a ride, then he is probably a serious prospect.

It doesn't mean he will buy after the ride, but the first guy definitely isn't.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

'If he gets there, spends two minutes looking, and says, "Let's go for a ride," he probably is just there for the ride. But if he looks it all over, looks underneath, checks under the hood and various things, and spends 15, 30, 45 minutes checking out the car before anything is said about a ride, then he is probably a serious prospect. It doesn't mean he will buy after the ride, but the first guy definitely isn't.'

Reply: Would you have any problem telling the first guy : "Sorry, no ride for you" ?? What is an accurate way of prequalifying a prospective buyer for your corvette ?

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3233.bay.webtv.net...

personally, I would drive it first and then check out the rest of the car. then probably go home and sleep on it before making my decision.

I have a friend that went into a high end dealership to buy a certain german made car. he asked the salesman how much? the salesman responded "if you have to ask? you can't afford it" my friend turned and walked out. my friend then went to another local dealer, paid cash on the spot and drove his new car home. so, ya see not every buyer reacts the same.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

"Dave in Lake Villa" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3233.bay.webtv.net...

dave, ever heard of using quotes when posting on usenet? believe even web-tv can do that for ya :-)

Reply to
'Key

ride," he probably is just there for the ride. But if he looks it all over, looks underneath, checks under the hood and various things, and spends 15, 30, 45 minutes checking out the car before anything is said about a ride, then he is probably a serious prospect. It doesn't mean he will buy after the ride, but the first guy definitely isn't.'

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

P.S. Key, i come here to talk Corvettes being a Corvette Owner . I hope you will put your focus on that also . If its extremely important to you to have someone respond the way you think it should be done, then, feel free to email me the Written Authoratative Web Standard for making a reply to a post...and i will abide by it ; otherwise, im not interested in nor do i pattern my life after others desires for the way i should be . Thank you in advance,

Dave

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

yeah, like a guy I used to work with, he went into a chrysler dealer wanting to buy a convertible for his wife....

salesman looked him over, and assumed NO SALE

he went 30 miles down the road, and bought two chrysler convertibles....... one for him, one for wife

then he and wife drove to first dealership, and showed the idiot salesman there the commission he lost........

of course, I did the insurance.... this was back in the late 1980's,

fun guy, eventually I went to work for him when I got tired of insurance

Reply to
markansas859

'he went 30 miles down the road, and bought two chrysler convertibles....... one for him, one for wife then he and wife drove to first dealership, and showed the idiot salesman there the commission he lost........'

Reply: Im glad he did that. Ill bet that Salesman learned a lesson .

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Reply to
eslurf

'I want my corvette just a certain way (C5-98-01, Dark Blue, Hardtop with less than 50k miles and Under 24k, I have seen these around, so dont tell me they dont exist...) '

Reply: Here in Illinois, Im waiting for a 2001 ZO6 to fall below $25 k They are above $30 k. still. Ive seen a few newspaper ads for a 1997 hardtop ,low miles for under $20 k.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

yup, exactly what I was saying.. Plus theyre great value at that price.. If you can find one from a single owner who has "babied" his car.

Reply to
eslurf

I dont think id go for a 1997, as i hear there were problems with them. Ill wait till the Zo6's drop below $25k which should be another 2 years.

Reply to
dave