1994 Caravan

My Caravan's starter works intermittently. Sometimes when the key is turned nothing happens at all. I move the shifter in and out of Park to see if the button is not depressed which allows the starter to work but that does nothing whatsoever. Later, sometimes within seconds, sometimes within many long minutes, the starter cranks and the engine starts. If the starter cranks it does NOT stop cranking until I release the key. I mentioned that part because if the starter was the problem I would think it may die once in a while cranking.

I have not found a problem, and don't feel like replacing the starter unless that is the problem. Does anyone have a clue what may be causing this problem?

Reply to
Vitaquosus

Had the same problem. It is the starter.

I replaced it myself; a little tight space getting one of the bolt in and out; took about 10 minutes turning a bolt 1/8 a turn and flipping the wrench around on every turn.

Note: You can easily burn out a starter if you have a weak battery. The lower voltage drop the larger, the current draw to crank the engine over. The motor windings get fried. Make sure your battery is always in top condition.

Reply to
Stephen Gertsch

Thanks Glenn;

I was wondering if it was the starter. I suppose I will get one.

Reply to
Vitaquosus

Oh great, I hate those engineers who insist on making things hard to fix. Still 10 minutes removing a bolt is better than paying $150.00 to have someone else spend 10 minutes to remove a bolt.

Thanks

Reply to
Vitaquosus