2003 Dodge Grand Caravan - speedometer jumps

Went to drive it one day and found the speedometer was pegged all the way around to the other side of the peg. Dealer said it need reset/recalibrated. Ocasionally since then, When I start the car, the needle jumps up to varying speeds, say 40 or 60 or 100, then drops down to 0 and operates normally as I drive. I tried the odometer diagnostic (hold in the trip odometer with the key off - nice light show!) No difference, still jumps up.

Anyone had this kind of problem? Ideas?

TIA!

Reply to
habuman

are you experiencing any battery problem such as a weak battery/slow crank sometimes?

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Not that I have seen or had reported.(My wife's car) I am going to test the battery. I'll give that a shot.

Reply to
habuman

more likely cold solder joints on the main board on the back side of the cluster. very common with Dodge vehicles. I've had two so far with cold solder connections on clusters.

Reply to
Abby Normal

Well, I had the battery tested, and it was not maintaining cranking amps. Replaced and no probs so far.

If it comes back, I will suspect the cluster.

Thanks!

Abby Normal wrote:

Reply to
habuman

The battery should fix the problem. A battery that is no good will cause this kind of problem. I would be very surprised if it continued. Keep me posted