97 Dodge Grand Caravan electrical problem

This is a second-hand vehicle that works fine other than that it has a tendency to shut down electrically at times. Having said this, the ignition will start, the radio/CD player will work, the van will run, but all the other intruments on the dash will be out. This stays that way for a day or two and then suddenly, (and for no apparent reason) everything comes back to life again. The shutdown usually occurs after driving somewhere, parking, turning off the engine and then at the moment of re-starting the engine, the dash is dead again. Does anyone know what causes this and how it may be fixed? Sincerely, JRC

Reply to
JRC

Sounds like exactly the same problem I had. I brought it to the dealer and they said they replaced the 'clock spring'. I don't know exactly what that is but I've never had the problem since it was replaced. Also, it was a "no charge" repair (even though I was out of warranty) since there was a TSB out about it - apparently it was a safety issue because it affected the air bag as well.

MK

"JRC" wrote:

Reply to
MK

The clock spring is in the steering wheel hub, and does indeed have something to do with the air bag deployment system, and may also cause problems with the rest of the electrical system since the airbag is supposed to turn on all interior lights and release the door locks when it deploys (I think this is outlined in the owner's manual).

Reply to
snookums