99 Caravan airbag light + no horn

New-to-me vehicle has constant airbag warning light and the horn does not work from the steering wheel. The horn does operate from the remote starter installed. Dismantled the steering wheel, and verified black and red wires are connected. Removed airbag, and can't tell if horn contacts are good or bad. No corrosion or broken wires. The clockspring was replaced under warranty in 2005. Any guesses? NYS Inspection requires working horn. Thanks. Doug B.

Reply to
Doug B.

Sounds like another clock spring to me. (take it back to the dealer)When you verified that the ground wire to the horn was connected you should of at least grounded it to see if the horn worked. If the horn blew then you now know the circuit is good all the way to the clockspring and the contacts in the airbag/steering wheel were bad.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I wasn't willing to do that with the battery connected. Don't know what will trigger the airbag. Can you tell me it won't deploy if I disassemble it with the battery still connected? Or Should I disconnect the battery, disassemble the steering wheel, remove the airbag, re-connect the battery and ground the horn wire? Assuming the red is +V and the black is ground.

Thanks for your time. Doug B.

Reply to
Doug B.

What will set the air bag off is applying voltage to the air bag wire or air bag itself. The caution and warnings are there for the person that does not know what he/she is doing and for accidental testing the wrong wires. If you do not know what you are doing take it to the dealer

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

That is exacltly what it was. Chrysler has warranteed this part for life. Thanks.

Reply to
Doug B.