99 Intrepid 2.7 Questions

Which way does that alternator come out? I have the bottom radiator support pan out and also took the headlights and top radiator support off, the one that goes across the front for access. I have all the screws out and cables off. WONDERING WHICH WAY, UP OR DOWN that alternator finally comes out.

I pulled the PCU powertrain control unit out to get the numbers off it just in case. It comes up as a California emission version. I'm in NJ. Wondering IF I was going to swap that, could I use a Fed emission version. Number I have is 04896260AE.

I've noticed for a while an oil leak on the front right driver side, up front. It seems to leak after a harder ride, not if you're gentle with the acceleration. Valve covers look normal and dry. Its down by the alternator location kind of and seems to get the brake or cooling lines wet. Could be why the existing alternator is wacky. Definitely looks like oil, not atf or coolant. Any ideas what could leak there?

Going on day 2 of tackling this.

GK

Reply to
GK

I have only had to replace one Alt on this model and it came out thru the bottom. It sounds as if you are guessing about the problem you are having.

If you swap out a PCM with another PCM that is not correct for the vehicle you could run into serious problems. Modules communicate with one another and learn and write programs from each other. If you install a module that has or does not have the correct software you could end up replacing more then one module to correct a problem you created. Without seeing the leak, I couldn't tell you what it may be. I would suggest having an oil dye test done to the engine to see if it is engine oil before doing anything else.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Well I did get the alternator out. Had yo come out the bottom. Took the electric fans off anyway to see, but the idler pulley bolt was still in the way of getting it out the top. Had to push the radiator as far forward as possible and then push the rubber tranny cooler lines over to clear it just barely.

Looks like the leak may be from the oil dipstick o-ring. Nothing else is close by. I'm going to clean that off, degrease it later and watch it. Its in that area anyway.

Was wondering about the PCM only because the other number is still listed as for this vehicle, just Fed emissions instead of California. Hopefully I won't need it anyway once I get this back together, if the original problem was the alternator.

GK

Reply to
GK

I would doubt if the generator is at fault only because the PCM would detect the output as to high or to low and set a fault code.

Reply to
maxpower

Well I just fired her up and she's running sweet so far, 13.5 to 14 volts. Will have to take er out for a road run when I get everything back on.

There was no fault code BUT did get the red battery light lit up on the dash before I did this work.

GK

Reply to
GK

Ok good luck