Help 2000 Caravan changed brake bulb now ignition will not turn

I changed the rear brake light that had shorted out and now the ignition will not turn. Someone suggested the security system locked the car. all the lights and the doors are still active from the remote. Someone else suggested disconnecting the battery for five minutes. It was too dark to see if a fuse was blown. However, which fuse would it be? The light that I changed works fine. Help the car is sitting in a parking deck and the next option is towing to a dealer.

Reply to
EJ Harof

If you suspect the security system is causing it, why not place the key in the door and lock and unlock the door to disarm the system?

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for responding. I did try that. I spoke to two dodge dealers and read through some posts on automotive helper.com That was one of their suggestions. I was also told to clean the battery connections. I polished the connections until they shined. Hooked everything up and it still did not turn over. My wife came along put the key in the ignition and slammed in with her fist. Van started.

Went to a dealer and it turned out to be the ignition switch. Unfortunately they wanted 300 to do the work and could not do until next week. I called a locksmith and the came out and installed it for 135. Alot for a few minutes work but it all worked out. The brake light was a coincidence.

Thanks

Reply to
EJ